Block Built Outbuilding Advice

have you ever seen a garage door made from new scaffold boards?

you might be surprised,,,,,i built one a few year ago in a local village and ended up doing another on the same street after telling them the price and seeing how solid they were ;)

i dont like the look of steel doors,overpriced and flimsy,wood always looks better in my eyes

the last two posts makes me laugh,,,,,,start off acting up but when i put the pudding on the table they cant eat it,,,,,,,,and reply back with childish comments

people reading this need to realise basic building can be very cheap if you use your noggin,,,,,,,dont let people like the above scare you with high prices,,,,,,,makes me sick!!!!

Sponsored Links
Building reg's compliant structures cost an average of £1000 p/m² and there is no disputing this.

You are a site boy and seem to have very little grasp of building regulations or the content of such buildings.

No doubt, you or anyone else can build a 'structure' for x, y, or z. Great news. However, it is of little help and is a wholly irrelevant comparison to people who want to build something other than a slum-shack.

For instance, you noted that you bought 10 tonnes of ballast and two tonnes of sand for your garage yet only purchased £150 quids worth of cement! You really are clueless and live in fantasy land.

Building reg's compliant structures cost an average of £1000 p/m² and there is no disputing this.

You are a site boy and seem to have very little grasp of building regulations or the content of such buildings.

No doubt, you or anyone else can build a 'structure' for x, y, or z. Great news. However, it is of little help and is a wholly irrelevant comparison to people who want to build something other than a slum-shack.

For instance, you noted that you bought 10 tonnes of ballast and two tonnes of sand for your garage yet only purchased £150 quids worth of cement! You really are clueless and live in fantasy land.

site boy,,,,,,,,,,,slum-shack,,,,,,,,clueless

calm down fella,,,,,,,,,my garage is up and the concretes in,,,il admit theres a few tonne of ballast leftover for a ramp and half a tonne of building sand but thats nothing for the cost

slum-shack,,,,,,,,,il add to this

one slum-shack i built is being used for detailing/valeting,,we tiled the floor with abit of drainage and he's more than happy after 8 years

another slum-shack i built is used as a spray booth/bodyshop fitted with a car ramp,,,still happy after 15 years

another slum-shack i built is used to store classic cars,,,i fitted a log burner in this one and its still going strong with no problems

ive built a fair few others but the ones above stick in my mind as i felt like i helped those people out the most,,,,,a young lad wanting to start his own business,,a friend wanting to restore cars at home and an old boy with a few nice cars in a rotting shed,,,,,these people needed a decent size outbuilding but didnt want wood or prefab at silly prices so i was able to build using block at prices they could afford,,,,,,,,,,,,

getting back to the original post,,,,,,,,,£1500 is alot of money for the work needed on such a small outbuilding,,yes you could go spend it very quick with all the new fandango materials out nowadays but if you go back to basics you could make £1500 go very far and have a neat little outhouse kitted out with a log burner,tv,fridge full of beer and a comfy chair,,,,,,,done!!!!

all the best to everyone

Sponsored Links
I especially love the bit about a scaffold board garage door! :LOL:
I like the bit about labour being free. I wonder how that works when he's building his palaces for other people?

of course labour is free when the work is at home,i wish someone would pay me to renovate my house though

it works just like any other tradesman,you give a day rate or a set price

building a small block garage with a few pillars is as simple as it gets,,remember the prices ive put out are for 28m2,,,,if your talking about something smaller like a single garage you can build for under a £1000 including a base which is cheaper than a prefab on its own without a coni slab ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back