block paving or flags.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am soon going to start my front but still thinging what to get.

If i get flags do i have to do a sub base or just a sand bedding layer?

i have took down a concrete fence and broke it up,can that be used as hardcore?

Sponsored Links
depends on the fence, i would have thought not since it will / should have reinforcing rods

It'd help if you told us what you intend to do with "your front". Is it going to be a car standing area? If so you can't just lay flags on a sand layer as they will not stay put.

breezer said:
depends on the fence, i would have thought not since it will / should have reinforcing rods

Surely the concrete will break away from the rods if battered with a sledgehammer.

Sponsored Links
I am just lying flags there wont be a car going on there. As for the fence there was rods in it but i broke them out quit easy with a lumpey actually.

diycooper said:
As for the fence there was rods in it but i broke them out quit easy with a lumpey actually.

SEE!

*pokes Breezer in the eye* ;)

So i am guessing you can use it.

Do i need to though if a car isnt going on it can you just use sand?

yes you can lay flags on sand. bugger of a job though for the average guy (in my opinion). If the driveway slopes then make provision for preventing the driveway slipping off into the road.

put a sub base of MOT/stone chippings, compact them and then lay the slabs on a wet bed of mortar. Lasts longer, just as easy to do

How many ton of MOT will i need for 26m2 could i lay on sand instead of mortor as that would be some mortor and mixing?

about 3 - 3.5 tonnes. you could do but you wont get as good a finish and youll be redoing it again in a few years time. just as easy to do it properly in the first place

How much is a ton of that MOT and do you know how many bangs of sand and cement i will need to get?

buy it loose tippered and its cheap, buy it in bulk bags and its up to £40 for 0.8o of a tonne.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back