Block Paving or Pattern Imprinted Concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I intend sorting out my driveway this year. Does anyone have a view on which is the better option?

Sponsored Links
I intend sorting out my driveway this year. Does anyone have a view on which is the better option?

Hi

Both have their good & bad points.

Imprinted concrete is coloured and resin coated. Once you wear through the resin it can quickly become patchy and if a poor job this can happen in months.

Block paving tends to drop where there is heavy traffic on it. Although you can prevent this by bedding the pavers on a concrete base. Can be difficult keeping the joints free of moss and if you pressure wash it you have to resand it afterwards. Plus point is you can always relay the pavers but recoating a concrete drive is difficult!!

Have a look at this site as he does give good advice.

http://www.pavingexpert.com/pavguide.htm

Charles

block paving will not drop if it has a decent sub-base that has been properly compacted. The resin does look nice when done, however everyone i have ever seen ends up with a crack in it somewhere which is impossible to repair

Sponsored Links
Block paving everytime. You may at some stage need to do maintenance to water pipes/gas, or even drains, which imprinted concrete will make an extremely expensive hobby (breaking through, removing rubble, re-hiring company to see if they can do anything to make good which is probably unlikely).

Paving blocks can be lifted and levelled relatively easily.

Thanks to everyone that has given me advice. I asked because my (very particular) next door neighbour had his drive block paved and now grumbles about the weeds "constantly" growing through it and says he would have pattern imprinted concrete if he had to choose again. However, the points made about being able to spot repair a block paved drive if required in the future have sold me on it. Thanks to all.

regular watering can full of weedkiller should prevent the weeds getting attached and if sanded properly you shouldnt get that many in any case

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back