Block paving - rocking when driven on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi- I’m going to get the contractor back but any ideas what could be happening here so that I’m better prepared?

Recently had a block paving drive extended and where I now drive, some of the blocks rock up/down slightly - this means that the sand then drops underneath so there are gaps between the blocks.

I can rock the blocks slightly with my foot which doesn’t sound right to me. Not sure if the picture shows it but where the tyre is, the blocks have been pushed down
69E844E5-91F5-42A6-8306-64E1BDD7D154.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Assuming the base has been laid properly and thick enough, there is a patch of sodden ground or base material, and the whole area of bad ground (to a suitable depth) and base should be replaced with dry stuff.

Don't just let them pack it, level it and then relay the blocks.

BTW, is that screed sand in the joints? o_O

Sponsored Links
Thanks all - it hasn’t been jetwashed - the sand between the joints (which was kiln dried) just seems to be falling down when the blocks rise up slightly. They seem a decent company so hopefully they will basically just do it all again to a better standard.

That's really the essence of whether they are a good company or not, their enthusiasm/reluctance to sort any problems out after the event ......

looks like the whole thing is bedded on sand . nuff said:(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back