Blockage at bottom of Soil Stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today I had my old 3 inch waste stack removed, so a new 4 inch one could be installed and a new toilet connected up to it.

The 3 inch was connected to a 4 inch pipe at the base, so was expecting this to be quite a simple job.

However it appears as if there is an obstruction in the drain a few inches down (see picture). Any ideas what this might be, and if so, is there a way to remove it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20151117-174243.png
    Screenshot_20151117-174243.png
    642.3 KB · Views: 197
Sponsored Links
looks like slipped/badly made joint - £30 for set of rods and poke the obstruction out- then put a acess pipe in @ the bottom of the stack

Yup, looks like earth n stone has dropped in there through the split joint and is sitting in the pipe, can you dig that section out and make good the join before the rest of the stack is connected?

Sponsored Links
Annoyingly the joint is under my path. Might have to get it dug up to get to it.

OP,
is that your camera?

My two pee is that the join was never made, and what we can see is the old mortar flaunching that came right thro the joint because no tarred gaskin was used.
Water would have escaped and undermined the salt glaze causing the drop.

As advised above - its a dig out job.

I'd be cautious about jetting a break in a pipe before the repair or you could possibly cause further undermining. You might even lose your nozzle thro the break. I guess that its a site call.

For anyone interested, a great Drain and Sewer cleaning forum is on: "plumbingzone.com" another is on: "ridgidforum.com"

Last edited:
Annoyingly the joint is under my path. Might have to get it dug up to get to it.
Looks like it I thought you were a Northern poster who has been on here with a 3 inch soil but his goes under the public road - then I saw your location:whistle:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back