Blockage in 4" waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone got any clever solutions for clearing a particularly poorly designed 4" waste pipe?

I've had commercial drain jetting companies out who struggle but succeed to clean it but it is getting more regular. Once cleaned it blocks up again within a few months.

I bought a meeting pipe for the pressure washer but haven't had much success.

The drain has the kitchen waste dropping into it and also has a rain water downpipe discharging into it. From the kitchen waste it is just the sink and the dishwasher.

We try to always get as much fat disposed of separately but it certainly seems to build up.

The blockage is about 4-5m down the 4" pipe.

It blocks just after a sharp bend. The jetting pipe won't go round the bend.

Jetting the other way from the manhole cover in the garden fails as there is a t in the pipe and the jetter always goes the easiest way, which is up to another manhole cover.

A brush on the end of rods acting as a plunger can get a bit of a trickle going but I can't get it clear.

So before I do major digging to either put a rodding point in, or to alter the layout. Is there any other suggestions? Any good chemicals that will actually work?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Have you got one of these for your pressure washer?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/STYDDI-Pre...t=&hvlocphy=1006625&hvtargid=pla-859802042827

Worth a go.

Andy

Yeah, that is pretty much what I've got. It drives itself down the pipe ok but then just hits the end rather than going round the bend at the end. The professionals had the same issue with their big jetter (van based diesel powered thing).

They managed to get it flowing again but I suspect that was due to the increased water flow that their big pressure washer had.

They had the same issue with going from the manhole. It defaults to propelling itself up the easiest path and just goes up to the next manhole instead.

Ok, go down the pipework and when it stops, with the trigger pulled pull it back and push forward a few times. It should then go around the bend, it may take a bit of practice. But once mastered you will do it first time .

Andy

Iirc to go up the manhole without going up a slip, you need a bar. What Andy posted looks similar to a mini kit, which would be my suggestion.

Ok, go down the pipework and when it stops, with the trigger pulled pull it back and push forward a few times. It should then go around the bend, it may take a bit of practice. But once mastered you will do it first time .

Andy

I've tried many times, I think too much of the end of the pipe is rigid which stops it bending round easy enough.

If the Pro's have cleared it and it's blocked again, that suggests to me an underlying issue, has anyone put a camera in to see whats going on? If the drain is badly designed and/or laid, then relaying it is going to be the only long term solution I suspect. (There is a reason why drains should have a chamber at every change of direction, as I suspect you've found out....)

Jetter usually take the easiest path, (which is straight), if you want it to go up the lateral, it wont. Then when you least expect it, it goes off on a tangent.... If you have a build up of FOG in there, you really need a Professional machine with a spinner jet on, to give you the pressure and flow rate needed to clean the pipe properly.

The Karcher is ok for popping 'soft' blockages, and will probably bash a hole through the middle of your blockage, but I very much doubt it's got enough power to clean congealed fat out of a pipe.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
If the Pro's have cleared it and it's blocked again, that suggests to me an underlying issue, has anyone put a camera in to see whats going on? If the drain is badly designed and/or laid, then relaying it is going to be the only long term solution I suspect. (There is a reason why drains should have a chamber at every change of direction, as I suspect you've found out....)

Jetter usually take the easiest path, (which is straight), if you want it to go up the lateral, it wont. Then when you least expect it, it goes off on a tangent.... If you have a build up of FOG in there, you really need a Professional machine with a spinner jet on, to give you the pressure and flow rate needed to clean the pipe properly.

The Karcher is ok for popping 'soft' blockages, and will probably bash a hole through the middle of your blockage, but I very much doubt it's got enough power to clean congealed fat out of a pipe.

Yes, it is a poor design. It was put in about 13 years ago now. At the time I asked for the builders to re position the pipe to make it go straight (diagonal) to the manhole. When I came back from work they had laid the insulation and said it was easier to connect it where it was and promised it wouldn't cause any problems. It didn't for a few years then has been a constant nuisance since.

I'm in the process of having an extension put in on the other side of the house and that is the opposite, it has that many rodding points to keep planning permission and building control happy! One rodding point is only a few feet away from the manhole.

I'm tempted to put a small inspection cover in the conservatory (which now sits on top of the pipe). It just means taking the tiled floor up and cutting through the concrete floor. I imagine it won't be overly easy to fit either without any movement from the pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back