blowing bulbs

i still do not understand the 14/2 or 14/3 bit.

but any way.

have you considered the fact that your socket tester is actually right?

why dont you plug it into another socket and see what it says there

Sponsored Links
no, this is my first time posting. as you might tell from my lexical errors, i studied biochemistry, not electricity. :)

but alas, i am running more tests. i put the bulb in and turned the switch to the off position: in this position the lights read that I have inversed the ground and the hot. and in the on position, that the neutral and hot are inversed. again, this is the reading the light socket meter is giving me..but the bulbs are not blowing up.

and the 14/2 and 14/3 is the type of wiring we use here (canada)--the 2 being the black and white, the 3 being the red black and white...

any ideas?

best.

yes, i did test the socket tester. it works

and i just plugged a 40 watt bulb into the light and it blew. the 60 watt bulbs don't blow up.

Ah, CANADA!

Your profile says

disfasia

your wiring conventions and especially sockets are different to ours.

Sponsored Links
sorry, i signed up quickly yesterday... but the principals are still the same, no? :)

Why do you have your location as United Kingdom when you are actually in Canada? Are you sure that the lamps are of the right voltage rating for the supply? I may be wrong but I think U.S. houses have two voltages within their installations. Whether the polarity is reversed or not this should not cause lamps to blow but needs rectifying anyway. Why don't you try reposting this question in the 'electrics outside of UK' forum seing as you are outside of the UK

not to mention the language differences

And you are in forum "Electrics UK" not "Electrics Outside of the UK"

We need a photo. Can you do one?

disfasia, now all is clear, you are in Canada :(

that expalins why the terminology difference

I am sorry to say but i suggest you try a canadian website as they will be able to understand you and know what you are and are not allowed to do :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back