Blown 30 amp fuse - age?

It might just be that the fuse wire over the years had oxidised and become far thinner copper than 30 amp wire should be

Sponsored Links
Perhaps I was too hasty - might have found the culprit. A VHS recorder that hasn't been used for a while as PVR is used now - that was in the circuit connected to TV and appears not to work anymore. The fuse is intact however.

Should have known better than to slander those poor rats!

Cheers, Steve

Hi, it's just a 5 amp as expected for that sort of device. Perhaps it's just a coincidence and I thought it might have been the extension board that it is plugged into but that is fused and all the other things plugged in work OK. I haven't used it since I started using the PVR so it might have stopped working at any time.

Steve

Sponsored Links
So a faulty VCR blows a 30 amp fuse while its own five amp jobby survives? :eek: :eek: :eek: Well I won't say it's completely impossible but I don't believe it. You could open up the defunct VCR and look for signs of a massive burn-out that would lend some credence to the ides but I still think the fault lies elsewhere. :( :( :(

PS: Just a thought. Is there any chance that the old fuse had the wrong size wire in it?

So a faulty VCR blows a 30 amp fuse while its own five amp jobby survives? :eek: :eek: :eek: Well I won't say it's completely impossible but I don't believe it. You could open up the defunct VCR and look for signs of a massive burn-out that would lend some credence to the ides but I still think the fault lies elsewhere. :( :( :(

PS: Just a thought. Is there any chance that the old fuse had the wrong size wire in it?

That was implied in my post that how could the VCR have caused it when two lower rated fuses survived. I still think it is either age or a rat. :rolleyes:

Steve

Did the fuse (assuming 3036) 'blow' in the normal place i.e. the centre or could the screw have been loose leading to overheating and it just melted.

It was an old ceramic type with asbestos in the middle and the screws holding the wire were both tight. It's a bit strange since 2.0 am has to be when the lowest load is likely to be experienced. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back