Blue circle mortar mix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning chaps,

I bought a bag of blue circle mortar mix at the weekend and mixed it up to lay 2 dislodged bricks on an internal wall. I put the correct amount of water in and mixed to the correct consistency (i think).

After letting it go off its now gone really brittle and crumbly and the bricks literally came off in my hand. In you opinions would that mean an incorrect ratio of sand / cement? Too much water on my part / too little? if thats the case could i just put some extra cement in there?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Tom

Sponsored Links
It will be the sand/cement ratio. It should be around 6 sand to 1 cement for this job. The amount of water will make no difference, but there should have been enough to make it a workable mix, so that you can pick it up on a trowel without it crumbling (too dry) or dripping off (too wet).

You should also ensure that the existing wall is dampened to stop it sucking the water out of the mortar too quick.

You cant put any extra cement in once it has gone off

Thats what i thought, it looked like the ratio of sand / cememnt wasnt right. It was a ready mixed bag i bought though. From what you say i had the right amount of water in it, the surfaces were sprayed with water before laying too.

Do you recommend any other pre mixed mortar brands?

i dont want to have to buy a bag of sand and cement just for these 2 bricks.

Cheers

Tom

All those ready mixed dry should be banned :evil: the sand is awful.....you would be better getting a small bag of cement and a bag of building sand .......even for that small job :eek: that other stuff is so bloody awful ...don`t matter who makes it :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Cheers Nige, i was hoping somebody would say that because for the life of me i couldnt figure out what i'd done wrong.

I'll do as you and Woddy suggest, mix a 6:1 sand / cement mix.

Cheers

Tom

its a perfect mix when its bagged up. what happens then? it settles during transport etc, and then part of the bag gets poured out in who knows what mix. As Nige says the sand is ****e. I wouldnt even use it as a filling material!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back