Boarding Out Loft (Storage) - narrow joists

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Needing some help here, I stupidly mentioned to the Mrs about boarding the loft out for storage purposes and now she wants to get on with it.

I've just been up there to take measurements and all was going well until I saw the thickness of the joists, they are only 1inch thick x 5.5 inch in depth at 400 centres (or there abouts). I was looking to put some loft legs down and then fasten T&G however looking at it, this isn't going to be possible?

Can anyone point me in the right direction and how I could make this a reality please?

Sponsored Links
New timbers, at 90 degrees to the old, on top and screwed down to them. This will also add more rigidity, and spread the load somewhat. If you floor it with ply, and screw that down to, it will give you quite a rigid deck.

Use the longest pieces you can to minimise joints.

I found Decking boards readily available.

I did something similar by having osb ripped down at b&q.
I used 2x1 screwed to the long side of the 8 foot strips, top and bottom.
Ran them at 90° and screwed to the original joist
Set the spacing so that the prepacked loft boards lined up

I think the strips were 8" and I added new insulation that's contained in polythene

Thanks for the reply guys,

@JohnD - so if I was to go the decking board route, are you saying to lay them flat across the current joists? Would this impact insulation properties..or squashing insulation? Or are you suggesting, lay the boards, then the loft legs then boarding?

@Tigercubrider - can't visualise what you mean at all, haha, apologies so you did 8 foot strips of OSB topped and bottomed with 2x1?

Sponsored Links
If you put them flat over the old joists, you will, have about 150mm of insulation, which is tolerable.

If you want 300mm of insulation, you will need extra joists on edge instead. Have you got enough headroom?

Hi John,

Plenty of headroom, would make an awesome cinema room lol!

Will have a look at what decking planks I have left from the summer project, thanks for the help :)

Sam

Yes - I made sort of I beams as the osb was too narrow to screw into.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back