Bodging - WHY?!?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why do people bodge?!

It takes them just as long to figure out and finish off their bodge than it would for them to make the effort to read up and find out how to do it properly. Plus people like us wouldn't be left to uncover their "handy"work at a later date.

How can people waste their time doing something badly that's going to fall apart or cause problems later on?!

I'm feeling so pi**ed off because I've been asked to bodge to fix someone else's bodge. They don't even WANT the job done properly, and it's a favour anyway!!!

Sponsored Links
Hello Donk.

Maybe you should tell your friend that you will only do the work if you can do it properly, or someone else will write the same post when they uncover your work !!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sounds more stress than it's worth... :D

All the best,

Ed

We've spoken about this on "DIYnot" often in posts.....People bodge because they are either too lazy to do the job properly, or they think they're saving time and money,,, probably the latter.... Tiling/plastering onto existing tiles, or re-papering over paper are just two of many examples of bodging,,,,, although "would be" bodgers,,,, or,, "lucky to get away with it in the past" bodgers,,, might disagree..... If a tradesman came into "your" house and bodged up/cut corners,, there would be h*ll to pay, but it's ok for "you", as the owner, to pass on a future bodged up job/problem to some future owner of the property... Have it done properly or leave it alone I say. :rolleyes:

Roughcaster.

why do people bodge?

simple, ignorance, can't be bothered ?

if you said yes you are overlooking one thing, the thing i think is the real reason.

skills, or to be more precise, lack of skills to do the job. some will think they can do the job, but after starting realise they can not due to lack of skill, i dont think its lack of understanding, just lack of skill.

I for one will readily admit i can make a wooden box, but i would never attempt to make a wooden cabinet, i know how, but i also know i have not got the skill to do it right.

take Douglas DeNevio, you can see what he does, but could you do it?

Douglas who ? clicky

so i beleive a bodge comes about because of lack of skill

Sponsored Links
Hehe thanks guys! Makes me feel a lot less like I'm being pedantic and/or OCD with them :LOL: I did get myself far too stressed about it though, it's like there's no point in doing the job because it's not being done to any decent standard. I just can't actually comprehend.

The job in hand is tiling a bathroom floor. They asked me about it a few weeks ago and I even offered to do the whole thing start to finish, showing them how it's done. I'm not a tiler, or even a tradesman, but I've tiled kitchens and bathrooms before and know that the job is 99% measuring, planning and cutting, and 1% sticking them down. Take your time, and you'll have something good to show. But, with good intentions, they decided to make a start to save me some time.

So, what met me this afternoon was tiles that had been laid using a wonky bath panel as the straight line, lined up by eye, no spacers used. Incorrect adhesive trowel used, so I'm not sure they'll all stay stuck down for long. It doesn't look TOO bad, and at least they did it onto thick ply and had cleared up the adhesive.

But, then I spot the Saniflo. Due to the (rigid copper) toilet feed there's no room to lift it up and tile underneath, needs a couple of pipes moving ideally. So, I considered the possibility of boxing it in (after looking into heat issues - should be fine).

But, they want me to just tile round it. I asked "But what if it needs repairing or replacing in future? You won't be able to get it out!". The answer? "Doesn't matter, we'll be out of here by then". :confused:

GRRRRR!!!

I might see if I can sneak in a flexible feed to the toilet tomorrow ;)

I agree with you Kev about Dangermouse,,,, not nice comment.......Anyway,,talking of fiddling from the state, the 114,00 people who are employed at the Department of Work and Pensions, took more than a million days off sick in 2007/08, an average of 10.1 days. The cost to the taxpayer,,,, a staggering £65.8 million.... Whether that's sick days off, fed up days off, hung over days off, or slept in days off, or couldn't be bothered to get up days off, who knows,, but these f*****g leeches are costing us a fortune. In the past three years they (the DWP) have fiddled us out of £228 million, to pay for their own to have days off... The average number of sick days off in the private sector is 5.8 days, some difference eh, but we don't have to pay for them.

Roughcaster.

Yes, but are they doing any useful work when they come in? The state sector is the least productive part of the 'economy', but it employs a vast army of people.

They constitute a significant part of the payroll vote, people who are expected to vote Labour in order to keep GB and his failed government in office.

roughcaster";p="1091121 said:
Talking of fiddling from the state, the 114,00 people who are employed at the Department of Work and Pensions, took more than a million days off sick in 2007/08, an average of 10.1 days off sick. The cost to the taxpayer,,,, a staggering £65.8 million.... Whether that's sick days off, fed up days off, hung over days off, or slept in days off, or couldn't be bothered to get up days off, who knows,, but these leeches are costing us a fortune. In the past three years they (DWP) have fiddled us out of £228 million, to pay for their own... The average number of sick days off in the private sector is 5.8 days, some difference eh, but we don't have to pay for them.

Roughcaster.[/quot

See, look around, i walk in them places kickin off, go in friday afternoon 3.15pm, they are goin home, watch their face......

Xerxes, my point entirely. Pen pushers.. Since Labour came in, more than 300,000 new civil service jobs have been created. Far too many. We need a major public sector jobs cull, to rid this country of the dead wood and hangers on, that are suffocating us to death, and bleeding the country dry..

Roughcaster.

Xerxes, my point entirely. Pen pushers.. Since Labour came in, more than 3000,000 civil service jobs have been created. Far too many. We need a major cull to rid this country of the dead wood that is suffocating this country to death.

Roughcaster.

my point the same, no matter how much i screw the social, i'll never get to this range

Sponsored Links
Back