Boiler being serviced tommorow some questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My oil fired Worcester 15/19 (approx 25 yrs old) boiler is being serviced tomorrow. Can you tell me what I should get for my money ? Also I have been told that this boiler has a 'reserve' that can be realised by fitting a different part. The part name escapes me, but it was a jet or nozzle or something.

The company have quoted £120, and is the same company that supply my oil.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
I guess there will be a few differing replies here, but I'd want to see the burner withdrawn, the top casing removed from the boiler and then the baffles lifted clear and wire brushed.....the whole burning chamber should then be vacuumed clean, including any passages towards the flue.
I take a compressed air bottle with me, to blast out the dust and fluff from the burner itself, after removing the blast tube.
I'd check the oil pressure against the specifications, do a smoke test and then a full gas analysis. I'd also make a note of the nozzle size and whether the electrode tips had the points still on them. I'd advise the punter as to their replacement, and also inform him of the chances of oil solenoid coil failure, together with replacement of the oil flexible lines if suspect.
I'd also check the tank filters / water traps, and vacuum around the entire boiler.
John :)

I guess there will be a few differing replies here, but I'd want to see the burner withdrawn, the top casing removed from the boiler and then the baffles lifted clear and wire brushed.....the whole burning chamber should then be vacuumed clean, including any passages towards the flue.
I take a compressed air bottle with me, to blast out the dust and fluff from the burner itself, after removing the blast tube.
I'd check the oil pressure against the specifications, do a smoke test and then a full gas analysis. I'd also make a note of the nozzle size and whether the electrode tips had the points still on them. I'd advise the punter as to their replacement, and also inform him of the chances of oil solenoid coil failure, together with replacement of the oil flexible lines if suspect.
I'd also check the tank filters / water traps, and vacuum around the entire boiler.
John :)

If I quote this list at him do you think I am likely to pee him off ? :confused:

I just wan't to be sure what I am paying for.

Should the nozzle be changed as a matter of course?

if i was coming and you stood behind me with a check list, i'd walk away, leaving your boiler in bits on the floor, and you'd be stood their clutching your precious £120 with no heating or water, and i would't come back, too busy to be bothered with a 'handbag' type customer

Sponsored Links
nobody likes having their job explained to them by, or their honesty questioned by, an amatuer. no offence to you, but that is how i feel when people tell me how long a job takes or what i am going to do before i have even looked at a job myself. Add to that the people that start quizzing you on how and what you are going to do a task and then trot off to check with internet 'experts' that you aren't having them over.

on the other hand, how do you know if the work has been done when you fork over your hard earned cash? well, the engineer is qualified, he is there for long enough to have done the job burnerman describes, and when you took him in his 3rd cup of tea and hob nobs, you exchanged a few pleasantries and could see where he was up to.

if he is done in 15 minutes, you might want to have a word..........

i agree with all the above posters, " internet warriors" are fast becoming the bane of my life. last week a lady told me it was an easy job to fix her her boiler as the expansion vessel was at fault! it was the plate heat exch.she heard it on a site (probably here)

To be honest if you have concerns why didn't you ring worcester out who would fully service it, replace nozzle etc at a charge of £115. its their boiler they know every noise it should make and will analyse it as well.

Most Engineers are happy for a client to take an "Interest in what is happening I am more than happy to provide a comentary to the person that ultimately is going to pay my bill, however I get ever so slightly K**bbed off by a client that knows more than me (apparently) having got this or that info form a website somewhere!!

I will say that £120 seem slightly steep for a routine service ! so expect a FIRST CLASS JOB for the money In my area a oil service is about £70 and with £9-50 for a nozzle, £3-50 for a filter element + the old Vodka & Tonic, our average is £95-00 ish

hope this helps!! (p.s. Oil companies do know how to charge!!) ;)

burnerman has pretty much got it spot on. id say a good service. would be min 30 min usually an hour from start to finish. but telling a guy how to do his job from info off the web. aint gonna help. oh and make sure the boilers off at least an hour before hand. or that will really pee him/her off. or they could even walk.

Look at the OFTEC check sheet and he'll be there all day.
As a matter of course, if it hasn't been serviced regularly, expect a nozzle change, any filter elements, probably a flexible oil line,(would you like the contents of your oil tank on the kitchen floor), and a flue gas analysis.
By all means, ask questions, but don't try to tell the man his job, especially when you don't know it, otherwise you wouldn't ask your question.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back