Boiler certificates

I beg to differ on the subject of Compliance certificates they DO MATTER!
in the Last 6 months my company has had the following

5 Customers trying to get 4 year old oil fired boilers "Commissioned" -reason house sale cannot proceed as new boiler has not been commissioned/notified -my response "sorry can't commission a X year old boiler!"
Had a Solicitor write to us stating that we had not notified a G3 unvented installation threee years earlier! look into it we were contracted to commission the oil fired boiler installed at the new build in 2007 the installer very nicely entered our company details in the benchmark book on the cylinder!! FRAUD! sale of house could not proceed without notification -we nearly ended up in court over that one it got very heated!

so don't tell me that proper notification is not essential because if a job is not notified it will come back to bite your bum!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
I had a combie boiler installed earlier this year, I have certificate from Gas Safe, but i had electrician to do the wiring, do i need a separate certificate from the electrician as well? thks

No Dobbin, you only need an electrical certificate for any NEW supply wiring was fitted at the same time.

A new boiler can be wired to an existing fused spur or just plugged into an existing socket.

A room thermostat or timeclock are excluded ( and usually within the boiler in the case of the timeclock on a combi boiler )

... sale of house could not proceed without notification ...
Nonsense, that is just a lawyer being difficult so he can bill some extra hours, or even out of sheer ignorance.
There is no legal requirement whatsoever to supply ANY document relating to ANY installation of ANY gaswork, electrical work or plumbing/drainage work.

Sponsored Links
we did have a thermostat and timeclock fitted, so we do need a certificate for that?thks dobin

At the begging of the new year I had a combie boiler installed got the certificate for installion, but we had a thermostat and timeclock wired new do we need certification for the electrical side of things? thks

There is no legal requirement whatsoever to supply ANY document relating to ANY installation of ANY gaswork, electrical work or plumbing/drainage work.
When did you last buy or sell a house?

Law Society Form TA11, the Additional Property Information Form, which the seller has to complete, contains the following question:

3.6 Have any central heating boilers or water tanks been installed at the property on or after 1 April 2002?

If Yes, please supply the following:

(a) the installation date
(b) a copy of the appropriate compliance certificate
(c) copies of the appropriate building regulations approvals and building regulations completion certificate.

Note: The appropriate compliance certificate from the installer in 3.6(b) must confirm that the installer is a member of OFTEX, or HETAS, or CORGI. It must also state that the works comply with the building regulations and must include the installer’s confirmation that the original certificate has been lodged with the local authority.

The form also contains the following warning:

It is very important that your answers are correct because the buyer will rely on them in deciding whether to go ahead. Incorrect information given to the buyer .... may mean that the buyer can claim compensation from you or even refuse to complete the purchase.

and what happens when there are no certificates?

...Law Society Form TA11, the Additional Property Information Form, which the seller has to complete...
Has to complete? Exactly which statutory instrument states that without this form a house can not be sold?

The form is nothing more than a recommended aid to streamline a non-compulsory exercise.
Anyone with half a brain would have concluded the legal validity was zero as the form insists that a gas installer has to be Corgi registered.

As per usual, your advice about anything that involves more knowledge than reproducing some Google content, is wrong.

and what happens when there are no certificates?
:eek:
According to our armchair Google hero, that would make the house unsellable. :rolleyes:
That, in turn, would mean that around 50% or properties that had a new boiler installed over the past 7 years, can not be sold since only half on installs have been notified.
As that includes virtually all new builds, it would litterally mean that the majority of existing housing stock has not changed hands.
In other words: dhailsham is spouting his usual nonsense.

Has to complete? Exactly which statutory instrument states that without this form a house can not be sold?
But if the seller refuses to fill in the form, the buyer's solicitor will probably advise the buyer not to proceed with the purchase.

Anyone with half a brain would have concluded the legal validity was zero as the form insists that a gas installer has to be Corgi registered.
I thought you might pick that up. :rolleyes: It should be obvious to any one with even less than half a brain that I was quoting from an old edition of the form.

How about an answer to my question? When did you last buy or sell a house?

As someone who buys and sells houses pretty regularly i can tell you that certificates are not necessary.I have just sold one with a kitchen extension and no certificate and it cost me £100 insurance indemnity.That was the third indemnity i have paid for in 18 months.
If the person wants the property they will buy it.

But if the seller refuses to fill in the form, the buyer's solicitor will probably advise the buyer not to proceed with the purchase...
A lawyer's advice is hardly a legal requirement, is it?
My statement was: "there is no legal requirement to supply any documents about the boiler installation with a house sale" in response to the nonsense you supported.
Recommendations, advice, opinions and a hypothesis about what a lawyer MIGHT say, are all totally irrelevant.
It would appear I am right (again) and you are wrong (as usual).

It's strange - no, revealing - that you refuse you say when you last bought or sold a house. Makes me think that you have no experience of the process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back