Boiler Cover

JSM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Wizards,

I currently pay British Gas £10 per month for boiler cover which effects repairs for a one off fee of £50. I have the option of paying £12.50 monthly and then there is no charge for repairs.

Recently my boiler's pressure went too high with the needle going into the red and some water was expelled. I contacted you guys and seconds later the fault was diagnosed as the expansion vessel having lost pressure. British Gas duly arrived and did a good job. The engineer restored the pressure with a foot pump.

The question is: having lost pressure once is it more likely now to lose pressure again or are these things just random? If it is more likely to happen again then clearly I would upgrade to the £12.50 per month option.

Hope you can see where I am coming from and I look forward to receiving your usual most helpful replies.

Sponsored Links
Your question is effectively: is it worth drinking 1 pint a month less in favour of getting an access free boiler cover. :rolleyes:

Hi Bengasman,

I would like to know where you buy your beer (lol). Seriously, I would also like to know for my 'worryometer' whether the chances of the boiler losing pressure are higher now that it has happened once.

Many thanks in anticipation.

what boiler have you got? and how old is it?
personally i think the best value for money is the boiler and controls cover (homecare 100) but this would not cover any problems with the rads or pipework.
iam guessing you have got the 200 flexi contract at the mo?

what ever contract ya go with read the t & c's as all the contracts have exclusions

Sponsored Links
Hello,

It is a BAXI BOILER 133HE PLUS. My concern as a layperson is that if air has escaped once surely it is just as liklely to escape again. Or, is that not necessarily the case?

it is possible for the ev to lose pressure again or it could last years!
did he replace the shrader valve?

Thanks for that. Not sure what a shrader is but nothing was replaced. I just thought once a leak of air - always a leak of air but from what you say that is not necessarily the case.

The tragedy of this tale is that ALL manufacturers specify that the built-in Expansion Vessel is drained and checked for air charge at EACH ANNUAL SERVICE... but then of course yours was a Grittish Bas Service, (what time is allowed for this now 12mins?) hmmm. seems to me if a proper service was being carried out, then the boiler would not have broken down in the circumstanses you describe :rolleyes: this is how BG make their money by encouraging people to spend more & more on so called care plans!

Thanks for that. Not sure what a shrader is but nothing was replaced. I just thought once a leak of air - always a leak of air but from what you say that is not necessarily the case.

No it's not the case at all air pressure will drop in any sealed unit if it is inactive as in your car and bike tyres when you leave them for a while. You could repressurize every year and it is called for on a service, the only thing is bg don't do a service and don't claim to and by putting a pump on the valve it may well leak after. There is no point anyway as a reading of the system pressure while the heating is in operation will soon demonstrate if it's required.

Thanks, ollski. I understand and that is helpful. I note the distinction between a British Gas service and an annual 'check up'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back