Boiler Door Opened (By Itself!) And Won't Shut??!!

Hi All!! Thank you for your replies!!

After further investigation it seems like a few of you were correct! The lugs on the top are not spring loaded. So, I removed the torx screws on the bottom, bent the metal tabs back into place (I originally thought it was hinged!! Good job the table was in front otherwise it would have dropped all the way down and probably snapped the tabs off!!), I slid the panel over the lugs and the panel popped straight back into place. Re fitted the screws! All good!! The only thing that could have possibly happened, is a while ago I had to have a part replaced (covered by British Gas!) The 'engineer' obviously didn't latch the cover over the top lugs? There is no other way it could have come off. Impossible!! I am still going to get it checked over anyway as it's due a service.

Thanks again and Merry Xmas!

IMG_15001.jpg
Untitled.jpg

Sponsored Links
The only thing that could have possibly happened, is a while ago I had to have a part replaced (covered by British Gas!) The 'engineer' obviously didn't latch the cover over the top lugs?

Simple to be sure, (s)he should have been certain it was properly latched. Best report it back to BG, as a fail, and maybe ask that they re-attend, and check it for leakage/ that it is safe. Refer them to this thread.

Reactions: CBW
Other option is to look for a referral who can provide a full service or repairing as lot of big organisations only mot the boiler.
Thus you will be in pocket as you will not be paying every month ( put monthly payments in a tin labelled boiler ) and you boiler will be servic3d as the makers intended

So the so called gas safety engineer that we supposedly trust couldn't even put the front cover on. Makes you wonder.

Sponsored Links
So the so called gas safety engineer that we supposedly trust couldn't even put the front cover on. Makes you wonder.
Take it you are perfection on evert plane 100% of the time, never ever ever made a mistake, and tell the truth, scouts honour

Take it you are perfection on evert plane 100% of the time, never ever ever made a mistake, and tell the truth, scouts honour

With such important things to get right, as well as being such an easy thing to actually get right, and easy to check it is right - no, there is no excuse for errors.

It's so simple - you ease the case lugs, over the pins, you waggle the cover to make sure it has properly latched, close then fit the two bottom screws. It's completely inexcusable to not getting it right. The engineer who got it wrong, should be handed his/her P45, for getting it wrong.

Other discussions:
Some DIY person removes the outer cover of a boiler, and within seconds people are bleating wildly about how it's unsafe and DIY types are not competent and can't do 26.9 checks and it's the end of the world as we know it.

This discussion:
Some RGI has clearly been negligent in not bothering to secure the cover properly and not checking anything and now people are rushing to their defence because mistakes can happen you know.

so he had BG recently working on it but phoned the original installer from several years ago .
Now personally i think 99.9% of people would have phoned BG who had worked on it and who are there 24/7

The engineer who got it wrong, should be handed his/her P45, for getting it wrong.
P45, BT thing. Harry, you BT or ex BT?

Like in every trade, there are those that do not have quality of work in 5heir heart or are ridden hard by the management so they end up with slip ups.

Two calls pre festivities that I declined.

Both were charged nearly £150 to be told new boiler or cannot do anything. One boiler I know for a fact can be repaired ( Baxi 105e)

Other discussions:
Some DIY person removes the outer cover of a boiler, and within seconds people are bleating wildly about how it's unsafe and DIY types are not competent and can't do 26.9 checks and it's the end of the world as we know it.

This discussion:
Some RGI has clearly been negligent in not bothering to secure the cover properly and not checking anything and now people are rushing to their defence because mistakes can happen you know.
How do you know that the top lugs on the outer cover were not out of shape such that they just engaged the tip of the pin. Boiler not serviced, electrodes now causing explosive ignition, cover gets blown. I have seen results of explosive ignition, it can distort metal with ease. Top of the case could succumb to such ignition I suspect

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back