Boiler filling loop not filling!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our home with have a Logic Combi ESP35 boiler. The pressure has dropped very slightly below 1, so I have attempted to re-fill and increase the pressure. However when opening the 'filling taps' there is a split second sound of water, but then nothing. The pressure does not increase. The two pictures are what it looks like. IMG_1450.JPG IMG_1451.JPG Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
1. The blue handled valves are the filling valves.
2. Both must be open at the same time to pressurise the boiler. Open means with the handles in line with the pipes, opposite to their position on your photograph.
3. If it still doesn't work, two possibilities are:
3a. One or both of the valve handles is/are not turning the valves. Remove the small screw from the centre of the handle, and turn the valve spindle with a spanner or similar.
3b. Your mains water pressure is lower than the pressure in the boiler. Try again min-morning, mid-afternoon or mid-evening. When fewer people are using water, pressure may rise a bit.
4. When topped up, set both fill valves to closed.

Thanks but unfortunately neither have worked.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is that black one on the return closed?

Is that black one on the return closed?

I don't think so...?

Another thing I have noticed is that the small actual filling loop seems to fill with water when I open the blue valves. I know this because I took the loop off, and there was water in it, so I poured it out. I replaced the loop, knowing that it was definitely empty, and then opened both blue valves again. The loop was then full of water again. Would this suggest water is coming in from the mains, but not being 'allowed' into the boiler?

Try turning the black tap horizontally, if not then it’ll be as suggested a failed non return valve not allowing the water through.

Last edited:
Looks like it could be, but fitting an external loop will be a lot cheaper, and easier.

Easier and cheaper sounds great.....so where does an external filling loop go? Surely the 'entrance' to the boiler for any water is currently blocked/stuck?

Easier and cheaper sounds great.....so where does an external filling loop go? Surely the 'entrance' to the boiler for any water is currently blocked/stuck?
One side will cut into the cold main leading up to your boiler, other will cut into return pipework back to boiler. This will override the current method of filling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back