Boiler Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks, great forum, I am new here and have a question. I have a 4/5 Bed House and 11 Radiators and 2 Bathrooms The system is approx 9 yrs old and boiler is on its way out. I basically need a new condensing boiler and would like a recommendation. The system we have now is a Bosch CC1 boiler and the house is always cold, the hot water isn't as hot as it used to be either, its intermittent hot/cold so has a fault.

I am looking at a high KW model and am considering a

Bosch Green Star 42 HDI (42KW) @ £1300

Baxi Platinum 40 HE @ £1145

Will a higher KW make the heating any better or just the hot water?
What labour charge would I expect for a straight boiler swap?
IS flow rate important to run 2 taps @ same time?

I appreciate any advice as I am freezing and need to order a boiler

Sponsored Links
I had an installer round last night and await his quote. He said its a day job to switch boiler over. What sort of charge would labour normally be for this type of job? £250? £500? I have no idea. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not really, a few are hot, most are warm for half the rad and cold the rest, no air in them, dont think there is any sludge either.

Not really, a few are hot, most are warm for half the rad and cold the rest, no air in them, dont think there is any sludge either.

no sludge
lol-003.gif

you are of course having a giraffe

There is nothing wrong with your current boiler. The CC1 is a very good boiler, your system needs looking at

First of all, the cause of failing rads is not your current boiler.
Second, not a chance the job can be done properly in one day.
Third a bigger boiler will not make the rads hotter, but will be needed for the 2 bathrooms
Fourth, yes flowrate is important; you need at least 20 l/min.

How many rads do you have, what size, single or double.

Can't remember spec of CC1, is it a conventional boiler? What size?

Definately not a job to be done in a day. If you're spending that kind of money, you will need a clean system. Powerflush absolutely. Also has the installer checked your flow rate and pressure, higher output combi's require greater pressure and flow rates or you are wasting your money. Personally spend some time cleaning your existing system, balance properly.

Thanks, maybe I should concentrate on sorting my system out first, I have just run a bath and its lukewarm, the water is hot for a minute then cold for a minute when the flame LED goes out. the boiler pressure is @ 1 Bar as I pumped it up earlier. I am losing at least 0.5 bar a day. I need someone to look at the boiler ASAP, do I ring British gas tommorow or an independant heating company? I tested my water pressure today, the stop cock is in the downstairs bathroom and next to it a sink, I filled a 10Lt bucket up 3 times and it took exactly 1 minute each time, so I guess the flow rate is 10LT / Min. Is that bad? If so do I get water company to come round?

Thanks, maybe I should concentrate on sorting my system out first, I have just run a bath and its lukewarm, the water is hot for a minute then cold for a minute when the flame LED goes out. the boiler pressure is @ 1 Bar as I pumped it up earlier. I am losing at least 0.5 bar a day.
You have a leak, and a system full of sludge, these are the first things to attack.
Don't wait too long, but RGI's are really busy right now, so you will either pay through the nose, or not get full attention.
Spend the time wisely by asking as many people as you can for recommendations. The problem with bg is that they have lots of people, some very good, some very bad and it's the luck of the draw who you get.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back