Boiler in Bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my bedroom cupboard I have a boiler (worcester 24cdi). I am planning to knock this cupboard through to my bathroom and close it off at the bedroom side. This means the boiler would now be in the new bathroom cupboard.
My uncle told me that I cant do it as electrical boilers aren't allowed in bathrooms. Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
queenrach said:
In my bedroom cupboard I have a boiler (worcester 24cdi). I am planning to knock this cupboard through to my bathroom and close it off at the bedroom side. This means the boiler would now be in the new bathroom cupboard.
My uncle told me that I cant do it as electrical boilers aren't allowed in bathrooms. Is this correct?
no. I have seen many boilers in bathrooms. I think there is certain zones you have to have them in, but being in a cupboard is fine.

Please take advise from a boiler expert.

If you have an extract fan in the bathroom you could draw CO from the boiler into the bathroom.

I am not an expert but suggest you take advise

shortcircuit said:

If you have an extract fan in the bathroom you could draw CO from the boiler into the bathroom.

And in the bedroom its ok to? :evil:

Sponsored Links
offroader said:
shortcircuit said:

And in the bedroom its ok to? :evil:

As indicated "I am not an expert"

The logic is that an extract fan could draw CO out of the boiler into the bathroom. It is not normal to have a fan in a bedroom, however if this was the case then the same precaution would require to be taken ie "consult an expert"

I'm no expert either, just the way you put it, as queenrach put it, the boiler isnt moving, just the doors/walls, so the exit point for the boiler fumes will still be the same, so its not going to make a difference to the extractor fan surely, this would be an issue now if that was the case?

offroader said:
I'm no expert either, just the way you put it, as queenrach put it, the boiler isnt moving, just the doors/walls, so the exit point for the boiler fumes will still be the same, so its not going to make a difference to the extractor fan surely, this would be an issue now if that was the case?

The boiler would now be in a room which is having air removed by a fan. This fan "could" draw fumes out of the boiler into the bathroom.

I dont have a fan in the bathroom, just windows. The main worry that the moisture would get into the electrics if it is going to be in the bathroom.
My uncle said I would need to get it boxed in but the instruction booklet advised against this as it needs loads of room so that it could be maintained. Also this would not be practical and would defeat the object of what I was trying to do.
I suppose I should contact the makers of the boiler (If I can find their website/phone no) and ask. Thanks for the help though :)

queenrach said:
I dont have a fan in the bathroom, just windows. The main worry that the moisture would get into the electrics if it is going to be in the bathroom.
My uncle said I would need to get it boxed in but the instruction booklet advised against this as it needs loads of room so that it could be maintained. Also this would not be practical and would defeat the object of what I was trying to do.
I suppose I should contact the makers of the boiler (If I can find their website/phone no) and ask. Thanks for the help though :)
Great no fan. I have now recalled that the problem was a bathroom next to a room with an open flame type fire which did present a problem, however beter safe than sorry.
Your boiler will generate suffucient internal heat that condensation will not be a problem to the electrics

shortcircuit said:
Your boiler will generate suffucient internal heat that condensation will not be a problem to the electrics

only when the boiler is on :LOL: (what happens if the bathroom gets cold?

breezer said:
shortcircuit said:

only when the boiler is on :LOL: (what happens if the bathroom gets cold?
Normally boilers are fitted with an internal frost stat and the boiler would switch on in extreme cold. The pcb in my boiler is enclosed within a plastic housing to prevent any ingress of water and I would doubt if condensation would enter.

I have no doubt in a sauna situation then there is a possibility of condensation ingress however this is a real normal situation and not one in which extreme conditions are likely to be achieved. In any event the boiler would likely have been on to create the hot water to provide condensation and the residual heat in the boiler would prevent condensation within the boiler.

This is becoming are rather trivial debate as my main concern was of safety in relation to CO

Should this topic be here or would it not be better in the plumbers forum as the CORGI Guys could give more accurate advice on this topic.

DDoyle said:
Should this topic be here or would it not be better in the plumbers forum as the CORGI Guys could give more accurate advice on this topic.

Thanks DDoyle

As I have suggested, contact an expert and as you say there is an abundance on the Plumbers forum

Most modern boilers are of the balanced flue or fan assisted flue type. The flue has two parts an inlet through which fresh air is drawn in for combustion and and the second as an outlet for fumes. They are known as "room sealed" and are completely isolated from the room.

This is also why they do not need an airbrick in the room in which they are located as the older boilers (or open fires) did.

Think about it, the majority of people locate their boilers in the kitchen where there's an extractor hood.

Okay thanks everyone. I will post this on the plumbing forum. Thanks for the information :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back