Boiler installation problem. What to do?.

£1500 worth of remedials on a half done job.

Wouldn't cost that to rip it out and start again!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I think you might have to take the pragmatic approach if you can't find anyone else to take it on (this is from a diyers point of view). You have an installation that doesn't conform to regs, and a hole in the roof. The benchmark certificate and building notification can't have been done legally in its current state. If you can't find anyone else to rectify the installation you may have only two choices, pay or start again and pay :(

Yep, I will go ahead as I don't have the luxury of choice any more.

FWIW, he does appear fully competent and has been very open and willing to discuss everything in great detail.

Makes me think of other little things I didn't give much thought before. Like one particular question I asked the previous engineer during the initial visit but he didn't answer instead I got "let us worry about all of that". Still feel like such a fool.

Also realised today I need to be more careful with my words when discussing requirements with a tradesperson. It's all well and good doing things myself where I am capable and keeping costs down, but when paying someone else where I am not capable and potentially dangerous work it needs to be emphasised that I want to pay for quality workmanship not cost-cutting. That's the whole point of not doing it myself.

I always find that a trader who is willing to discuss the details of a job, tends to be more likely to care about doing a good job (imo). When I had to get my roof recovered I was never given a start date but woke up one morning to scaffolding all over my house. When he started he was rather surprised that I had sourced a load of reclaimed roof tiles for him, but i had been unable to contact him. Fortunately they did a good job but the lack of communication was frustrating to say the least.

Obviously the reason for employing a trader is that they know about the job / have the capabilities. No way could I recover a roof! But its good to be singing from the same hymn sheet (as it were) at least.

BTW always look up the gas engineer on gas safe register first, and ask to see their id card if in any doubt.

To be honest I think the second guy your now employing is having your pants down, more importantly you've no doubt discussed with him the issues and the fact you've not paid the original installer but are considering deducting his charges from the original bill so he's massively bumped his prices up!!!!!!!

£300 for a filter/scale reducer and filling loop is just one example. As a one off visit then fine, on site doing multiple works is ridiculous, and to top it off it's not a "your required to have" scenario either!Doesn't matter how blind the job is, it's £150 tips of materials and 1hours labour whilst on site doing other works!

£200 for a PRV that only has to go through a wall and terminate safely which in 99% of the time is just turned back to the wall.

I really don't need to go on, I'd be very wary.
My recommendation is ring gas safe get a free inspection, they will give you a full list of defects that you will require putting right.
They will also have seen this situation a 1000 times and be able to tell you which installers are willing to attend after their inspections.

When this all kicks off and you start getting funny over not paying the original bill your going to have one hell of a battle justifying that the job required £1500 worth of work to put it to a satisfactory standard.

You need to be clear with him that his price includes materials and labour to correct the flue. The way he has worded it and listed his prices is ambiguous.

Terms like, your flue will also need looking at

The filling loop is not at all incorrect. They make them with 2 shut offs and 1 shut off. I prefer to fit one with 2 shut offs but what you have is also common practice.
.without seeing the job then the prv indeed will run next to the condense pipe and terminate on to the flat roof

He is clearly someone who has not taken the Water Regulations course or even kept up to date with current regulations.

He is correct in saying that both types are still on sale and that many cheapskates do save money by fitting the incorrect types.

That's why my quotations will be higher because I use the correct fittings.

But the reality is that customers do not realise what is required and usually just go for the cheapest ( as you did ).

As far as the gas supply is concerned, we simply do not know the pressure loss because no one has measured it yet.

If I was passing then I would measure it for free for you.

Hoping to take someone out for dinner in Barking sometime but don't know when.

Tony

If I was passing then I would measure it for free for you.

Hoping to take someone out for dinner in Barking sometime but don't know when.

Tony

"Are you enjpying your dinner dear"

"Yes, lovely, Tony. you generous hunk. This meal must be working out at £42 a head."

"Would you excuse me, for a short while"

"Of course, Tone - off to the bathroom?"

"No, darling, I need to catch the X42 to do a free pressure loss test. Enjoy your pud . I'll be back in time for the brandy xx"

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back