Boiler not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Baxi system boiler in my garage which is connected to the pump and tank in my airing cupboard via Hive.. It has decided to stop firing up for some reason.

I have checked the hive system and everything is working fine. The thermostat is talking to the receiver in the airing cupboard fine and you can even hear the water pumping but the boiler in my garage just dosnt fire up.

Ive tried switching off and rebooting a number of times ( it fires up for a minute or so and then switches off)..

its something wrong with the boiler i just dont know what.. Oh and I had Boiler cover until January 2023 but thought i wont renew as i would be replacing the system but times but i need hotwater now

p.s. im using the immersion heater for hot water but its a pain in the backside

any help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Is tank fed system so not sure how to check pressure... Do t have any dials on the boiler

Sponsored Links
water pressure in the system ok ,tried bleeding the pump / system

IMG-20230803-WA0002.jpg

I think so

Attachments

• 16910994261318889503805485505264.jpg
    16910994261318889503805485505264.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Yep, so you have a Main (same family/often same footprint as Baxi) heat only boiler (heat ERP). Check the motorised valve would be a first port of call, as it is this that sends voltage to the boiler to fire for a hot water demand. How are you at electrical testing with a multimeter/voltage tester?

yup thats something I can do
Ok, that’s good. Create a call for hot water on the Hive, making sure the cylinder thermostat is set correctly (approx 60 degrees), open up the wiring center, place test probes between orange and a known earth or neutral and you should be getting approx 230vac.

Finally have the time for an update.. So I tested the Valve and that was faulty I also found that my cylinder heating element was on its way out. so made the decision to replace with a combi as I was going to replace the boiler in the near future anyway. After doing some research (Googling) i was going to be spending approx 3k for a conversion from standard boiler to combi. British Gas had an 0% finance offer so thought lets give them a try knowing full well they would be more expensive. They quoted me £6,500! and when the nice gentleman broke down the quote; the labour charge came to £4,000!!!!!!! so pointed them in the direction of the nearest circus because they were obviously looking for a clown! anyways got it done by an independent who also replaced all 10 TRVs on my radiators for £3,200

Finally have the time for an update.. So I tested the Valve and that was faulty I also found that my cylinder heating element was on its way out. so made the decision to replace with a combi as I was going to replace the boiler in the near future anyway. After doing some research (Googling) i was going to be spending approx 3k for a conversion from standard boiler to combi. British Gas had an 0% finance offer so thought lets give them a try knowing full well they would be more expensive. They quoted me £6,500! and when the nice gentleman broke down the quote; the labour charge came to £4,000!!!!!!! so pointed them in the direction of the nearest circus because they were obviously looking for a clown! anyways got it done by an independent who also replaced all 10 TRVs on my radiators for £3,200
But I bet the Independent didnt have a flying van :ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back