Boiler Problem / Potterton

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My Potterton Suprima 80 appears to have gone wrong. I took it apart, tested the circuit board and other things and it appears to be the Gas Valve. I called a plumber, and threw him out after 40 minutes as he was absolutely useless. Didn't know what he was doing at all, and starting "hitting" bits of the boiler with a screwdriver for no apparent reason.

Anyway, can I change the gas valve myself? It looks very easy. If not, anyone know a GOOD plumber around Tunbridge Wells/Crowborough?

Thanks,

Steve

Sponsored Links
I would do a search on this forum for Suprima threads - there are lots of them and I think that's the boiler with the infamous PCB problem.

why call a plumber to repair a boiler and if you knew he didn't know what he was doing why post on here it's not an information service :rolleyes:
phone a reccomended engineer
try asking the bloke next door or the people down the street
or is this just the average bo**ocks an RGI should get :evil:

kevplumb said:
why call a plumber to repair a boiler and if you knew he didn't know what he was doing why post on here it's not an information service :rolleyes:
phone a reccomended engineer
try asking the bloke next door or the people down the street
or is this just the average bo**ocks an RGI should get :evil:

Hello

I'm sorry, I didn't understand any of that at all.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Don't worry Steve, I think it's down to it being late Saturday night, if you get my drift. The point is that a "plumber" is not necessarily the right person to repair a boiler. You should specify a Corgi reg. heating engineer.

I called a plumber, and threw him out after 40 minutes as he was absolutely useless. Didn't know what he was doing at all,

it was nothing to do with late saturday night

the poster has dismantled part of the boiler "allegedly"tested it :eek:
then realises it's beyond him phones a plumber (who should not have taken the job on)
then comes on a DIY forum slagging the trade
very subtle :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

kevplumb said:
I called a plumber, and threw him out after 40 minutes as he was absolutely useless. Didn't know what he was doing at all,

then realises it's beyond him phones a plumber (who should not have taken the job on)

Hello

Ah I see. I took the control panel off to check the PCB, that's all. And then put it together again. I called a Corgi registered engineer, albeit from a plumbing firm. The person *really* didn't know what he was doing, had absolutely no clue. Couldn't even work out how to unscrew the boiler and called to his office three times asking for help. I hope that isn't the level of professionalism that I will get when I call someone else.

So I know what the problem, I am happy to have someone come and do it but do not want an idiot again.

Thanks,

Steve

If the resistance of the gas valve coils were measured it would be a start. Between the end pins should be about 4200 ohms for the two coils together, and 1400 and 2800 from the middle to end pins for each one.

If the coil reads ok but the section doesn't open, the engineer might, I have to say, tap the valve with a screwdriver handle to see if it unsticks!

You are of course not allowed to do any "work" on your boiler unless you are "competent".

boxst said:
kevplumb said:

Hello

Ah I see. I took the control panel off to check the PCB, that's all. And then put it together again. I called a Corgi registered engineer, albeit from a plumbing firm. The person *really* didn't know what he was doing, had absolutely no clue. Couldn't even work out how to unscrew the boiler and called to his office three times asking for help. I hope that isn't the level of professionalism that I will get when I call someone else.

So I know what the problem, I am happy to have someone come and do it but do not want an idiot again.

Thanks,

Steve

in which case i apologise :oops:

getting tetchy in my old age :LOL: :LOL:

Changing the gas valve on these isnt particularly easy anyway as you have to remove burner amongst other things to do it which should most certainly only be done by a corgi engineer :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back