boiler repairs

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm a time served electrician(only recently) and have always had problems with faults on boilers as do many other electrician's i know of.

Does anyone have any information or wiring diagrams on how boilers work or common faults that do occur as i would like to widen my knowledge?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I would stop at checking polarity of fcu and that the correct control signal has been sent to the boiler and is wired to the correct portion of the pcb. Anything more than that should really be carried out by corgi registered personnel. They have nothing to do with the skills you have learned as an electrician. If you want to develop skills to repair boilers you ned to attach yourself to someone in the trade and work under his supervision while he is present. If you get enough of this experience you can then go on to study and take examps to become competent to do the work alone. Once you are competent you will need to get corgi registered in order to do it for profit.

RMS said:
Does anyone have any information or wiring diagrams on how boilers work or common faults that do occur as i would like to widen my knowledge?

thanks

All the information you require( regarding wiring diagrams) is printed within the MFI`s...to obtain these simply type in boiler make on t`internet & this will take you to that particular manufacturer. You can then download installation instructions which contain the wiring diagrams for your particular boiler.

Paul Barker said:
Once you are competent you will need to get corgi registered in order to do it for profit.
Good advice of course, but not quite correct - once competent you don't have to be CORGI registered to work on the non-gas and non-flue components.

Sponsored Links
Well we could debate this until the cows come home. In my view the bottom line is would the original posters case hold water in fron tof the judge at a manslaughter hearing if what he did on a pcb lead to tragedy.

No problem at all, he could take Softus along as advocate to fight his case on a no win, no fee basis and conditional that, if the case was lost, Softus would pay all penalties and reimburse for any time spent in custody.

Paul Barker said:
Well we could debate this until the cows come home. In my view the bottom line is would the original posters case hold water in fron tof the judge at a manslaughter hearing if what he did on a pcb lead to tragedy.
We might never know, but if the expectation is that it wouldn't [hold water], then surely the recommendation would be not to do that thing you're talking about to a PCB.

However, I don't get the feeling that the OP is a PCB repair groupie; rather someone who wants to understand how to fault-find something that's basically simple but is often shrouded in mystery.

A recommedation from an RGI for couple of good books would probably be right up his street.

[Edited, in the light of oilman's post, with which mine crossed]
That's a bit extreme oilman - you have some neck to say that.

I said that PBs advice was good, and simply pointed out an error.

My underlying point was that the OP deserves to have the facts, not a smuged version resulting from an RGIs risk assessment of his skills and his propensity to do something potentially dangerous.

Only a problem if there's a chance of losing the case, as long as you're confident of winning (you are aren't you?) it's all :D :D :D :D

Er, what's only a problem? :confused:

And you're talking about winning an imaginary case why?

I'm sure you're getting some amusement from Bg's posts oilman, which is fine by me, but is there a grudge surfacing, after all this time?

Softus said:
Er, what's only a problem? :confused:

And you're talking about winning an imaginary case why?

You made a statement that it would acceptable to work on certain parts of a gas appliance if not CORGI registered. PB then brought the possibility of a legal case. That's the problem being discussed.

I'm sure you're getting some amusement from Bg's posts oilman, which is fine by me, but is there a grudge surfacing, after all this time?

In that case you are wrong. I get no amusement from this constant bickering. Sometimes it is better to just keep quiet. There may be a grudge somewhere, but not from me. I don't post on many topics here even though I don't perhaps agree with the replies, but constant unguarded critisism of other posters replies does not help the OP.

No doubt you will reply to this post in the normal style, but I don't intend to comment further. Maybe that's an example worth noting.

Must say the forum has a higher proportion of handbags and bickering than it used to and it's getting a bit much.

RMS the question of what you can do without getting into a territory where you might need to prove your competence or be COrgi regd if things went wrong, is a bit grey to say the least. Corgi will say you need to be registered to work on anything to do with the gas or air flow, or safety circuits. That includes so much of what's in a combi that's you would be limited to parts like the pump, or motorised valve, without some formal qualification.
You quickly start getting wet too, so you need to build some knowledge of the delights of faulty isolation valves, drain cocks, blocked feed pipes and so on.

Corgi registration training, for all the usual domestic appliances, took me two weeks. It has changed a bit and you need to have worked with someone, but there's little requirement for, or examination of, knowledge on how a combi works beyond specific components. You could have a load of experience of installations and not have much idea how a boiler works.

If you do go that way, there are some courses and books, and manufacturers' training.

oilman said:
You made a statement that it would acceptable to work on certain parts of a gas appliance if not CORGI registered.
Effectively, I did do that, but that's the law.

PB then brought the possibility of a legal case. That's the problem being discussed.
A prosecution is possible. I don't know how, and have never purported to know how, to assess the likelihood - wishing to scare off punters and non-RGIs seems to be a common trait amongst RGIs, and I was doing my small bit to redress the balance.

In that case you are wrong. I get no amusement from this constant bickering. Sometimes it is better to just keep quiet. There may be a grudge somewhere, but not from me.
I stand corrected, and I apologise for being presumptuous; I observe that you're right about keeping quiet.

I don't post on many topics here even though I don't perhaps agree with the replies, but constant unguarded critisism of other posters replies does not help the OP.
Notwithstanding the fact that I agree that sometimes less is more, I disagree that stating the common interpretation of the legislation is either criticism or something that's unhelpful to the OP, but there are many other times I could keep my e-gob shut.

No doubt you will reply to this post in the normal style, but I don't intend to comment further. Maybe that's an example worth noting.
Of course I'm replying, in order to set the record straight, but I'm easy going about whether or not you want to continue an amicable discussion.

ChrisR said:
Must say the forum has a higher proportion of handbags and bickering than it used to and it's getting a bit much

HERE BLOODY HERE

come on lads we all have different opinions about stuff. Thats why we have courts!

Cant we sometimes just agree to differ and move the **** on???

ChrisR wrote
Must say the forum has a higher proportion of handbags and bickering than it used to and it's getting a bit much.
Could not agree more.
Some times it does make good reading. :LOL:

Softus said:-

"""A prosecution is possible. I don't know how, and have never purported to know how, to assess the likelihood - wishing to scare off punters and non-RGIs seems to be a common trait amongst RGIs, and I was doing my small bit to redress the balance."""

I dont suppose that Softus has ever considered that some RGIs have the safety of punters uppermost in their minds?

For Softus to want to "redress the balance" and encourage punters to do gas work when they are not compentent is in most people's view totally irresponsible.

However he hides his identity because he knows that he is giving potentially dangerous advice and does not want to risk any legal consequences.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back