boiler repairs

Sponsored Links
bloody hell its the clash of the titans AGAIN

ok so softus thinks what he thinks and you think what you think

the DIY'er is not silly and can ascertain for themselves what they should or shouldn't do

so lets agree to disagree and move on.

rang CORGI today and they say that only a registered person should work on any part of the boiler that either controls the safety devices of the boiler or the operation of the boiler

so its my "interpretation" that only RGI's should work on any part of the boiler etc.

This is open to interpretation and we live in a free(ish) country and their is bound to be legislation to either dispute this totally or at the very least muddy it up a bit.

corgiman said:
Softus said:
corgiman said:
come on lads we all have different opinions about stuff.
No we don't.

right i am now lost
It was a childish joke. You know - you said that we disagree, I implied that we agree, but expressed it by disagreeing, meaning that we disgree, which means that I agree with you that we disagree, which means...

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
corgiman said:
Softus said:
corgiman said:
come on lads we all have different opinions about stuff.
No we don't.

right i am now lost
It was a childish joke. You know - you said that we disagree, I implied that we agree, but expressed it by disagreeing, meaning that we disgree, which means that I agree with you that we disagree, which means...

DOH

sorry I get it know lmao

sorry its friday, and my brain is gone

corgiman said:
rang CORGI today and they say that only a registered person should work on any part of the boiler that either controls the safety devices of the boiler or the operation of the boiler
CORGI tell different people different things, and it's only their interpretation (or their policy on their interpretation).

This is open to interpretation and we live in a free(ish) country and their is bound to be legislation to either dispute this totally or at the very least muddy it up a bit.
Well said.

Hi all, thanks for an interesting debate.

Ive worked for a few different electrical companies and they dont normally see a problem with sending electricians fault finding on boiler pcb's and components. To be quite honest it has never crossed my mind about being corgi registered to fault find on boilers, so its probably a good thing that the point has been raised.

RMS

Oh well I might aswell not bother with corgi reg next time, I'm qualified electrician too, so if that's all I need That's save me a fortune then and save a whole load of hasstle from inspectors. Cheers.

Softus said:-

"""You know - you said that we disagree, I implied that we agree, but expressed it by disagreeing, meaning that we disgree, which means that I agree with you that we disagree, which means...***

I think the heat must be affecting him!

Agile, do you think the day might ever come when we exchange posts without you addressing me in the third person?

I was not addressing Softus as that would only have encouraged him!

If he came out of the closet to one of our meals then he would be able to introduce himself.

Tony.

Conversation at meal.

T "would you like some wine?"

S "would you like some wine?"

Yes I would! Can't you see my glass is empty?

T " Here is some nice house red!"

S "Here is some nice house red!"

I did not want the house red, I wanted cabernet Sauvinon !

T "But the house red IS cabernet sauvinon."

S "But the house red IS cabernet sauvinon."

Must be the heat!

OK, I can see how that's really quite amusing. Fair play.:cool:

There's a lot of posts gone missing between 10:14 and 17:27. Has a mod been around without having the decency to say what has been removed and why?

Agile said:
I dont suppose that Softus has ever considered that some RGIs have the safety of punters uppermost in their minds?
You're quite right Agile; I should give credit to that - the RGIs on this forum are concerned about safety first and foremost.

to "redress the balance" and encourage punters to do gas work when they are not compentent is in most people's view totally irresponsible.
I've never encouraged anyone to do gas work; I've only ever pointed out, and only on some topics, what the law says, to make people aware when the law has been misinterpreted. I always point out that it's necessary to be competent. In fact, there are times when I've agree with others that it's sensible to engage an RGI - I'm not black and white and crazy all over, like, to name, but one example, Water Systems is.

However he hides his identity because he knows that he is giving potentially dangerous advice and does not want to risk any legal consequences.
No - this is cobblers.

competent electricians can carry out repairs on motoriasation OUTSIDE the boiler eg, roomstat,timer,cyl stat , 2 and 3 portvalves
as soon as you have to open the casing of the boiler you have to be corgi registered because you can compromise the integrety of the appliance, eg: damage the seals . to answer your question about wiring diagrams, have a look at different manufacturers installation books in the back you will find faultfinding procedures wich, if followed competently will result in pinpointing to the faulty part, im into boiler instalations and breakdowns and over the years you get to know certain boilers and just by description you more or less can pick 1 or 2 spare parts to fix the problem but again if you find you have to open the case for testing a corgi engineer should be at hand to make sure teh appliance is left in safe working order!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back