Boiler replacement time?

nec

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our 17 yrs old Vailant system boiler is starting to play up with the odd minor problem. Engineers talk of 10 year life for such which I find hard to comprehend - old cast boilers are still working after 30 years albeit inefficient - you can buy a lot of gas for the cost of a new boiler!
Anyone any thoughts on options please? Not too sure what to do at the mo. :?:

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you could comprehend that manufacturers aren't allowed to make them from cast iron any more. Nor can they use copper as yours is. If you get it repaired you won't need a new one.

What exactly is wrong with it

This is the most relevant question.

If it needs an ntc then just replace that.
If it needs a new hex,pump and pcb get a new boiler.

Hope that helps!

Problem is there are many installers and few descent repair engineers.

I wouldn't agree with 10 years I'd say 15-20. If properly maintained.

A 17 year old Vaillant I would assume would be the VC GB 142?

These can be a bit tricky to fault find on especially if you are unfamiliar with them. But they are pretty solidly built units.
Better than the current range of vaillants IMO

Sponsored Links
What exactly is wrong with it

Thanks for the responses so far. In detail it leaks from inside somewhere, an engineer tried to get gaskets but seemingly they are no longer available. Vailant will not touch it - over 10 years. There is an intermittent fault in that it continues to 'run on' via the 'manifold' when no zone is calling for heat - (I can put up with that currently as it is infrequent). Pump stopped but managed to get a replacement so OK there for now.
Generally well pleased with performance just annoying to think of having to 'shell out' again so soon (compared to previous) for something that I think in this 'engineering' day and age should be almost unbreakable - or have I missed something somewhere.

Generally well pleased with performance just annoying to think of having to 'shell out' again so soon (compared to previous) for something that I think in this 'engineering' day and age should be almost unbreakable - or have I missed something somewhere.

You may have missed that this is planet Earth.

I challenge you to name anything modern with half the working parts, working half as much as your boiler, that lasts over 17 years.

Given your expectation, my advice to you is get some open fires or a stove and don't have central heating next time.

Today's world is based around "built-in .obsolescence"

To my mind, it's a dreadful waste of money & resources, but I'm unable to do anything about it :evil:

[quote="Tibbot";

I challenge you to name anything modern with half the working parts, working half as much as your boiler, that lasts over 17 years.
quote]

Noted - I do have a 25 yrs old Kawasaki GT550 sitting in the garage that runs as good as the day it was built - albeit not used as often as the boiler particularly in the winter time - but with a load more working parts than my boiler! Apart from servicables no problems over the life so far.
As regards reverting to open fires - not an option in this area - we are where we are.
With luck I will keep to my Vailant VU 226 E for a few more years yet and get my monies worth out of it regardless of the manufacturers lack of interest.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back