Boiler Service cost - unresonabley high? Conflicted.

Sponsored Links
Over the last 12 years, for 2 gas fire services and one Landlords certificate, I've paid between a total of £55 to £155*. Last year I paid £80, this year I've paid £120 for the work, same chap. East Midlands.

All on LPG if that makes a difference.

Best job was either the installer but he'd no longer working or this years man; worst job was the £155 man.

Sponsored Links
You've not mentioned what boiler you have so there may be specific service items for your boiler which increase the cost. Some examples would include a Remeha Avanta for which the service kit alone costs over £100 to buy, and a Powermax where a full refurbish service on a neglected one could run to £500.

My standard service charge is £70+vat. I don't know anyone charging £60 Inc VAT who is actually doing a proper service rather than just a poke-and-go emissions check
VAT is a matter of additional taxation which is related to T/O. So if VAT registered you charge + and if not registered, no VAT. So if someone charges £60 and they are not VAT registered then how can you make that claim?

I used have an Ocean Alpha 240p-it was crap but I once read the service engineer manual. It recommended that the service engineer did things such as checking the voltage between various points on the MCB. I am pretty sure that no plumber would bother doing that unless they were trained on that particular model.

VAT is a matter of additional taxation which is related to T/O. So if VAT registered you charge + and if not registered, no VAT. So if someone charges £60 and they are not VAT registered then how can you make that claim?

If they are charging £60 plus VAT, they are VAT registered. As an aside, I don't know any gas safe plumbers that are not VAT registered.

I paid £90 for a service of an open flue permanent pilot light dinosaur.

that’s West Sussex

Not sure what he did, I remember he wrote a figure on a bit of paper - and that appeared on the invoice.

I suppose I should get a new boiler really

I am sure there are genuine engineers and good reasons for "Boiler servicing" but i believe an annual service is mostly a con to squeeze money out of customers.

If it were called a safety check, i'd have more respect for it.

None of that has ever been done or mentioned either by the independent or WB.
I suppose they don't bother because those boilers last 15 years plus, so one would accept a fault after such time.
You couldnt be more wrong with that boiler if not properly serviced, you will get a whole world of grief

You couldnt be more wrong with that boiler if not properly serviced, you will get a whole world of grief
I'm possibly wrong, but I have seen 20 year old boilers never serviced and still working, they're not rare.

I'm possibly wrong, but I have seen 20 year old boilers never serviced and still working, they're not rare.
Totally agree but that boiler isnt one of them, burner gaskets need changed at the correct intervals or they split and cause a lot of top end damage

There is absolutely nothing to service or adjust in my Potterton so i don't.

I grease the fan bearing bush every year though because Potterton thought putting the self lubricating bronze bush bearing directly above the combustion chamber was a good idea....
When i do that, i hoover out the bottom of the casing and give the rest an eyeball (esp the he/ex) but that's it

And that's as much as Potterton tell you to do tbh.

I've had it ~ 20 years so that must be close to €1.5/2k i haven't wasted.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back