Boiler Service cost - unresonabley high? Conflicted.

Sponsored Links
There is absolutely nothing to service or adjust in my Potterton so i don't.

I grease the fan bearing every year though because Potterton thought putting the self lubricating bronze bush bearing directly above the combustion chamber was a good idea....
When i do that, i hoover out the bottom of the casing and give the rest an eyeball (esp the he/ex) but that's it

And that's as much as Potterton tell you to do tbh.

I've had it ~ 20 years so that must be close to €1.5/2k i haven't wasted.
I'd be fascinated to know how you can entrain grease into a sealed bearing, perhaps you could enlighten us?

It isn't a bearing.

Its a bush.
A Bush is a bearing designed to hang a shaft. Fact! Usually in vertical applications ie fans.
It’s a slip bearing and construction is from one piece as opposed to roller bearings.
It is however, a bearing!
If you don’t believe me I will cast a spell upon thee and thou wilst be doomed to an untimely mishap on an ascending ladder. Be warned.
I also have all the socks you lost in the washing machine! Thou art an argumentative scrote! Be told.! X

Sponsored Links
The only other comment I'd make is if there was damage attributed to the (professionally) UN-serviced gas appliance would your insurance pay out?

A Bush is a bearing designed to hang a shaft. Fact! Usually in vertical applications ie fans.
It’s a slip bearing and construction is from one piece as opposed to roller bearings.
It is however, a bearing!
If you don’t believe me I will cast a spell upon thee and thou wilst be doomed to an untimely mishap on an ascending ladder. Be warned.
I also have all the socks you lost in the washing machine! Thou art an argumentative scrote! Be told.! X

Christ,
Any two surfaces sliding together can be considered a bearing. Mostly, a plain bearing is a sintered bronze pre lubricated bush.
A ball bearing has a internal race.

When people refer to the above, it's usually "bush" or "bearing". Clearly the intent is obvious.
Pedants of the world unite lol.

I'm happy to call it a bushing as it has no inner race. You do you.

The only other comment I'd make is if there was damage attributed to the (professionally) UN-serviced gas appliance would your insurance pay out?

Depends i suppose.

They would have to prove that my repairs were the direct cause.
Even then, i think the insurance is still valid.

If you set fire to your house by any other means of incompetence or accident or lack if maintenance, is it still insured then?

Hmm.

There is absolutely nothing to service or adjust in my Potterton so i don't.

I grease the fan bearing bush every year though because Potterton thought putting the self lubricating bronze bush bearing directly above the combustion chamber was a good idea....
When i do that, i hoover out the bottom of the casing and give the rest an eyeball (esp the he/ex) but that's it

And that's as much as Potterton tell you to do tbh.

I've had it ~ 20 years so that must be close to €1.5/2k i haven't wasted.
I had my Potterton profile for over 20 years and never had it serviced. Didn't know you had to! I did replace the PCB three times though plus the the plastic temperature knob and bottom cover broke through age/brittleness. When I had my system converted to sealed with unvented hot water, I had a service and flush then. It never ran right after that. Had the gas valve one other bit replaced and it started kettling so I had it changed before it broke down.

If they are charging £60 plus VAT, they are VAT registered. As an aside, I don't know any gas safe plumbers that are not VAT registered.
According to HMRC publication, only 37% of the registered business who register as an employer whose primary business is plumbing are vat registered.

I was at Leeds match recently and I could not find one person who was not a Leeds supporter....

According to HMRC publication, only 37% of the registered business who register as an employer whose primary business is plumbing are vat registered.

Really? I do not doubt that you read that but it would (read:might) suggest that many such firms set up and collapse before hitting the VAT threshold.

Do you have a link?

I also have and still do have a Potterton Profile and again 20yrs old. Has had a couple of services and 2 pcb . Started to kettle last year and I added a inhibitor to treat it. The boiler is now kettle free so that worked for us. Will soon start to look to update and replace the old girl as she is probably due for retirement…bless her cast iron heat exchanger

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back