Boiler Service

Hi All,

Out of interest my Baxi Barcelona is working perfectly well.

It has not missed a beat since last year when Heateam put in a new burner unit because the seal had gone on the old one and the item had been updated. (info courtesy of this site - thanks)

I am having it serviced because I understand they should be done every year and I want to wake up in the morning :LOL:

I will watch the engineer with interest to see what he does - AND I will report back to you fellas if that's ok?

Thanks for all the replies - its been fun.

Stoyer

Sponsored Links
you want to contact the guiness book of records . A barcelona working for that length of time is a record.

The simple answer is a service takes as long or as short as is required to leave THAT appliance in a safe working condition to last another year by using the MI .

CUSTOMERS would not even know you had started the minute you pull up

I totally agree.
Just a bit suprised that this chap or chapess hasn't seen a fga used on his or her services. Considering that the MI go into detail on what and what not to service after readings have been taken.

Andy.

Barcelona servicing instructions do not mention use of a FGA well not the ones i just looked at.

Sponsored Links
Andy,

I will be checking the service instructions left by the installer - way back when, to see if it mentions using the probe you guys talk about so much.

Not sure it does !!!! ;) :LOL:

Namsag could just be right - :oops:

By the way - I did not say its been fine since install - OH NO !! I could right a book. :rolleyes:

Andy,

This FGA, would mean the guy goes outside pushes it into the flue and takes a reading ?

I have had it serviced every year bar one by Heateam - and never has anyone been out of the house.

The only guy that did was the Independant last year and he checked the meter in the garage with some dial/chart. He then looked up info on gas pressure or ? in the service/manual I gave him.

Because I asked him if it was using too much gas ??
He showed me how "you" check it.

Does that makes sense.

Hi.

Yes that does make sense.

A pretty basic safety check on a service would be to 'go outside' and do a visual inspection of your flue terminal, and if it is in a position to check, to see that there are no blockages. Also to check the position in relation to windows, car ports etc.
So bit suprised that no one has been outside to have a look.

Has your boiler got a sampling point ,which you should be able to see right at the top of the boiler on the flue elbow, about the size of a pound coin?

Andy.

gorgigrouch was that a landlords, you were doin cos to service an appliance you dont officialy need to do a tightness test from the meter to appliance. but before you all jump on my back, i know its good practice to do one anyway.i did one today on a service. guess what customer said iv never seen anyone done that on the last service we had. guess what it had a leak, but now im responsable for it.most customers never seen anyone clean the burner chamber and it shows on some.

so was the trace and repair free with the service then? :LOL:

you want to contact the guiness book of records . A barcelona working for that length of time is a record.

precisely why a barcelona needs next to no servicing as all the issues have been sorted on the 5 repair calls during the year. :LOL:

IMO, and im sure many will disagree, every boiler needs the combustion case opening every year no matter what the fga says. ive found some horrors that haven't showed up. i find most condensers need at least light brush on the heatex and the sumps clearing on the aluminium ones. traps almost always come out with me unless they are clearly empty, the only exceptions i can think of right now being the minimiser and the envoy, thats a ballache i dont need. the only checks i can specifically think of for the barcelona fall under the above general checks....those ****ing awful burners cracking and the combustion seal going hard and affecting the fan stat......20 minutes for a barcelona is entirely possible.

i did one today on a service. guess what customer said iv never seen anyone done that on the last service we had. guess what it had a leak, but now im responsable for it.

Surely if you do the tightness test before you start the service you are not responsible for it, you have just highlighted the fact.

You really are looking for earth bonding too much. On a service visit the only place you need check is the gas meter!

By 'UnVented 'System most would presume your refering to the DHW. The terminology used by manufacturers and publications is 'sealed' system when refering to central heating.

I can check the gas valve just fine thankyou very much from being stood infront of the boiler.

I dont just 'shove' an FGA in the flue. If im familliar with the appliance I attach/insert in the manufactuers specified place, operate the appliance how the manufactuers require me too and see what reading I get. If the reading is ok per manufactuers I leave it there. Why strip and break seals, wear nuts/bolts/washers when there is no need?

My service is carried out quickly and efficiently with the use of an FGA. I dont charge the customer for useless stripping and cleaning of parts and the additional cost of seal kits etc when they are not required. I think it is you who is ripping the cutomer off!! To use you analogy its like an old lady taking her car for a Ford recommended oil change on a 2 year old motor and you stripping the engine and fitting a new head gasket!!!

Checking the flue is sealed is a basic check and again might take up 10-20 seconds of you 'hour long' service.

PS Some cars go for service on the back of a recovery vehicle.

The local Ferrari and Lambourgini dealer often used them for fetching cars coming in for service!!

HG.. Are you saying that earth bonding is not important? Although I always look in the meter box... Well I would do if a tightness test was being done (Please not that not all meters are actually in a meter box, we all know this but I thought that it would avoid pedantic comments), we both know that it is not a requirement that the earth connection actually be inside the box.

My apologies for my inaccurate terminology when referring to the sealed system..

As for checking the gas valve, I am always willing to learn, though must admit that I don't always like being taught... Please share your method.

I agree with you with regard to stripping heat exchangers.. There is no point in doing so if there is no need. I don't think that I have ever stated that it should be done every time.. In this regard, the FGA is a very useful tool. I pride myself on giving my customers good value for money and a quality of service that is second to none. Work that can be done reasonably quickly such as refitting the flue seal is included in the price of the service, as would the price of a new thermocouple on an older boiler if the old one appeared suspect... I'm sorry if you feel that doing this is ripping folk off. Obviously other work such as tracing a leak and repairing it is chargeable...

I think that the correct term for the vehicle that is used to transport a serviceable vehicle is a car or vehicle transporter.. Recovery vehicles are used to recover broken or damaged vehicles... Irrespective of what is written on the side/ roof/ cab

To check the gas valve, justattach your manometer to the inlet test point, run appliance, isolate gas. You can then check to see if the gas valve is paasing by carrying out a small let by check of the gas valve byt testing between the appliance isolation valve and the gas valve outlet. Lot easier than hurting you back in the under stairs cupboard!!

Andy Wrote,

Has your boiler got a sampling point ,which you should be able to see right at the top of the boiler on the flue elbow, about the size of a pound coin?

Hi Andy,

Yes it has - a little white screw-on cap just above the boiler case. Maybe that's where its been checked in the past ?

Have read through the service manual - no mention of a FGA test.
But everything else is stripped out, cleaned and vacumed, burner, fan, trap etc... Cannot see anyone doing that in 10 mins?

Would it give the required readings in the service book or do you guys know them off the cuff ?

Thanks for the help by the way.

Stoyer

Hi Stoyer.

Apparently the last set of instuctions for this boiler issued, was issue 6, dated 10/00.
I have had a look at this one and there is no mention re using a fga.
I have myself a copy of issue 5 dated 4/00. This one does goes into detail regarding if a fga is used.
Not too sure at this stage why the later version takes out the fga section, as the sampling point remains ,and if it is there then why not use it.

Andy.

Hi Andy,

I will take a look at my manual, out of interest. Just to see what the issue number is ?

Would it matter to you if you had no fga test info to work with ?
What does it tell you and how can you alter it if it was wrong ?

Cheers

Stoyer.

p.s. -- Heating Engineer never showed for appointment, no phone call either ? -- That's the second time - first time he says, he put it on the wrong date in his diary ! :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back