Boiler Service

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I have a Baxi Barcelona System Boiler, fitted about 6/7 years ago. Its has been basically dependable, with no big issues.

I have had it serviced every year by Heateam. Except last year when an independant company did it. A short while later it started to go off after a short time. The seal was damaged on the burner case cover and it was over heating? Heateam repaired it.

My questions are, :idea:

When its serviced it takes about 20 twenty mins - is this right ?

Could someone please explain what is involved in correctly serving a condensing boiler.

Many thanks, :)
Stoyer

Sponsored Links
Hi.

To service your boiler, the engineer will undertake certain gas safety checks, as well as following the manufacturers service procedure instructions.
He can use an analyser machine, which takes measurements from the products of combustion and then decides how far he needs to take the service. But again it is really all down to the manufacturers instructions.
The combustion box door seal should always be closely inspected when servicing.

Can't really comment on the 20 mins.

Andy.

1. Clean trap if dirty
2. Check flue readings
3. Bugger off

LandyAndy,

thank you for your response, I have never seen any engineer use an analyser machine on my boiler :confused: -- My worry is how do I ensure its done correctly, given the price of gas/safety it needs to be spot on.

Poxi - very helpful, thank you. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help,

Anyone any opinions ?

Stoyer

Sponsored Links
LandyAndy,

thank you for your response, I have never seen any engineer use an analyser machine on my boiler :confused: -- My worry is how do I ensure its done correctly, given the price of gas/safety it needs to be spot on.

Poxi - very helpful, thank you. :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help,

Anyone any opinions ?

Stoyer

No really, he is spot on!

20 mins should include a cup of tea and a call to the missus to say youll be home early!

If the flue gases are right then there really isnt a great deal to do to a modern condensing boiler.

I take it you dont trust the chap who serviced your boiler then?

20 mins is plenty I would say

I concur with poxi and harrow

:)

or do you want us to say that you have been ripped off and it should have taken two days AT LEAST to service it

:)

Hmmm... I'm sure a tightness test comes in to it somewhere..

First service of the week, was an Ideal Icos, fitted in 2004.. found flexible flue seal not correctly fitted and POC being blown into the casing, con trap clogged and flowing slowly, pipework not bonded and an unvented system with no expansion vessel... All controls working fine, gas rating as per spec, flue gas analysis is within tolerances, seals and casing were acceptable... I allow an hour to service a boiler, I wonder just how long the guys who serviced it before took to do the job

Either do it right or don't bother :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Stoyer.

Bit suprised that no engineer has used an analyser as part of your service.

Your boiler has a sampling point for an analyser to be used, so why not use it? Readings are taken and compared to those given in the manufacturers instructions.

However there is a big IF in the manufacturers instructions, that will say, IF an analyser is used then Blah Blah.
So it isn't mandatory for one to be used. So no need to worry.
I would use one though.

Andy.

First service of the week, was an Ideal Icos, fitted in 2004.. found flexible flue seal not correctly fitted and POC being blown into the casing, con trap clogged and flowing slowly, pipework not bonded and an unvented system with no expansion vessel... All controls working fine, gas rating as per spec, flue gas analysis is within tolerances, seals and casing were acceptable... I allow an hour to service a boiler, I wonder just how long the guys who serviced it before took to do the job

Since when has a tightness test been part of a standard boiler service????!!!

Spotting pipework not bonded is hardly going to take up more than 1 second of your '1 hour super service'.

You really need to work a little harder if your taking 1 hour to serive a boiler such as this. Id almost say its incompetent!!

Many unvented tanks dont have an 'expansion vessel' nor do they need one.

gorgigrouch was that a landlords, you were doin cos to service an appliance you dont officialy need to do a tightness test from the meter to appliance. but before you all jump on my back, i know its good practice to do one anyway.i did one today on a service. guess what customer said iv never seen anyone done that on the last service we had. guess what it had a leak, but now im responsable for it.most customers never seen anyone clean the burner chamber and it shows on some.

The replies I have gotten prove I am right to be concerned :confused:

If the surface tests show its basically ok - then charge the amount and off we go.

Or be lucky and get an engineer that will "SERVICE" as per the request of the customer.

Surely a service is a service - a safety check is a safety check.

My question was, Could someone please explain what is involved in correctly servicing a condensing boiler. If it differs from 10mins to an hour then someone ain't doing there job correctly surely ?

If I get a brake service , they strip, clean, lubricate and rebuild - not press the pedal to see if they work, if they do, all is well !!

Stoyer,

p.s. Thanks for all replies - very interesting.

Andy, should a Corgi Engineer have the analyser as part of there required equipment ?

Since when has a tightness test been part of a standard boiler service????!!!

Spotting pipework not bonded is hardly going to take up more than 1 second of your '1 hour super service'.

You really need to work a little harder if your taking 1 hour to serive a boiler such as this. Id almost say its incompetent!!

Many unvented tanks dont have an 'expansion vessel' nor do they need one.

So you would be ok to take money off a customer to check the flue gas and clean the con trap, yet leave them with a gas leak if at some time a pipe had been damaged... A tightness test would also prove that the gas valve shuts off correctly.

You know as well as I it's not just about not seeing that ther is no bonding, but also being sure that it has not been put somewhere unexpected, so it always takes a little time just to look the system over.

I guess that you'd be happy with the flue not being sealed because the manufacturers instructions do not require you to check.

Please not that I said "Unvented system".. the cylinder is a bubble top, but what about the heating system, does this not need an expansion vessel?

I would suggest that it is the attitude of "shove" an FGA in the flue, clean the trap and clear off with a hand full of readies is the incompetent way of doing things... The customer relies on us to ensure that their heating is safe for them to use... your service achieves nothing for the customer

Holty... That was a regular standard service for a housewife. I too have picked up quite a few leaks that have gone undetected for a long time. My view is that a service does not significantly reduce the chances of a break down, we could all study a gas valve 'till the cows come home and not be able to say how long it would be before it failed... clean the trap or pick up on a dodgy fan, then yes, but my focus on a service is safety

Stoyer... As far as I know, there is no requirement to have an FGA but if you have on then it should have been calibrated within the last 12 monts and you do need to have passed the CPA1 to use it

Holty, you wrote - guess what it had a leak, but now im responsable for it

I would say - yes you are and thank goodness you found it. That's your job and responsiblity to the customer and the establishment you belong too.

Hope you repaired it, you could just have saved there lives. ;)

Stoyer

If I get a brake service , they strip, clean, lubricate and rebuild - not press the pedal to see if they work, if they do, all is well !!

Just out of interest, have you ever been into the garage workshop and actually watched the mechanics doing this work or do you just leave the car and collect it later?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back