Boiler Sump Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings!

I have a Worcester Bosch 40 Cdi Conventional boiler.

Recently it started leaking. The plumbing engineer that visited diagnosed a damaged sump, with the water escaping from a hole/crack in the sump as opposed to moving along its normal channel.

The engineer went off to investigate if a sump could be purchased in isolation from the heat exchanger and came back with the fact that a whole new heat exchanger unit would need to be bought £450 and it would take two hours labour £250.

My question is, is it possible to purchase just a new replacement sump anywhere online? Buying the whole new heat exchanger unit seems somewhat overkill.

Any help in saving me a good few £££ would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the thoughts. Would these be available only? My rudimentary googling skills have failed me! Thanks

Sponsored Links
How old's the boiler...10 year warranty if you're lucky.
I'd contact Worcester anyway as a cracked sump would be unusual.

Not sure how old the boiler is and not sure if we have any associated paperwork -- I moved to the house 2 years ago, so would have to check what was left behind. The Engineer said that the sump was damaged due to a previous small fire in the boiler -- which has caused the plastic of the sump to become deformed/crack.

I do have a Worcester Greenstar 24 CDI boiler as scrap and was also wondering if the sump form that would be compatible with my 40 CDI?

Hi again. Well I have called three parts suppliers and asked them if the sump can be provided in isolation. None of them have bothered to respond, so I presume the answer remains that you have to buy the whole heat exchanger! D’oh.

So given the cost of doing that I am now wondering if the leak from the sump can be lived with…. The leak is minimal, but I am unsure what impact a leak (even a minor one) will have on the boiler and its efficiency.

What is the opinion from you wise gentlemen is it something that can be lived with or is it likely to be affecting the boiler’s performance and thus in need of timely correction?

Thanks

Hi again. Well I have called three parts suppliers and asked them if the sump can be provided in isolation. None of them have bothered to respond, so I presume the answer remains that you have to buy the whole heat exchanger! D’oh.

So given the cost of doing that I am now wondering if the leak from the sump can be lived with…. The leak is minimal, but I am unsure what impact a leak (even a minor one) will have on the boiler and its efficiency.

What is the opinion from you wise gentlemen is it something that can be lived with or is it likely to be affecting the boiler’s performance and thus in need of timely correction?

Thanks
It is very much available... if I was doing the job I'd supply it to you for £35+VAT, and fit it for £150+VAT.

If you leave it, the acidic condense water that is leaking out will eat through your boiler casing, at which point you'll need a whole new boiler

what is the specific part number ?

edit,it may not be called a sump :rolleyes:

Ask these people if they can get the spare part,ask by email and follow it up with a phone call http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WORCESTER-GREENSTAR-CDI-FLUE-GAS-COLLECTOR-87180069440-/281407145984

Hi,

The parts seems to be the plastic assembly that sits at the bottom of the heat exchanger. The Engineer refereed to it as a sump. The boilers GC number is 41-311-72 if it helps.

I'll give that ebay store an email. Thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
It is very much available... if I was doing the job I'd supply it to you for £35+VAT, and fit it for £150+VAT.

If you leave it, the acidic condense water that is leaking out will eat through your boiler casing, at which point you'll need a whole new boiler

Thanks for the info, re the problems that could occur if I did not get it done. Any chance you could share where you would source the part from?

Ta

Any of the big 3 plumbers merchants - City Plumbing, Plumb Center, Plumbase - or online suppliers like Heating World of Spares, Direct Heating Spares etc etc. Most are next day delivery, although may be reluctant to sell a part to a non Gas Safe Registered Engineer. Which bit of Wiltshire are you in?

Any of the big 3 plumbers merchants - City Plumbing, Plumb Center, Plumbase - or online suppliers like Heating World of Spares, Direct Heating Spares etc etc. Most are next day delivery, although may be reluctant to sell a part to a non Gas Safe Registered Engineer. Which bit of Wiltshire are you in?

Thanks. I am in Devizes. City Plumbing was one of the two companies that I tried, but they both failed to call back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back