BOILER SWITCHING TO RESET

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know why a Glow worm Micron 4OFF would be switching itself to reset.

We have had 3 engineers round now but no one has been able to sort the problem out permanently. It works for a few hours and the goes back to reset again.

Our boiler is 2 years old and on Tuesday we had the whole central heating system serviced and flushed. We assumed this would mean the end of heating problems for another year but this hasn't been the case.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sorry to say, but your boiler is of pour quality and installed by a cowboy, therefore it could be any of a dozen causes.
See “read this first” and FAQ at top of forum

..No. i disagree. The boiler and central heating system were installed by Glowarm brand new.

I agree that their annual servicing is of poor quality and value and i cannot recommend them but it served us well all these time with no problems.

We have had 3 engineers round now but no one has been able to sort the problem out permanently. It works for a few hours and the goes back to reset again.

Our boiler is 2 years old and on Tuesday we had the whole central heating system serviced and flushed.

Thanks

One would assume that these three engineers are from Glowarm. That does not make them a very credible firm if they cannot diagnose a very simple problem with your boiler.

One would also question the ethics of a firm that services and flushes and gives you no guarantee that its necessary or will solve the problem.

Whilst I am sorry that you have had these problems, I often find that many will trust people who appear very uneducated and unprofessional and just seem intent on getting them to pay for work which is not going to cure the problem.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Did you ever post a picture of the F&E tank...the insides...that will give an indication of the system.

As for the boiler the micron has a reputation for poor circuit boards. What do the LEDs on the front indicate? I had an 18 month one the other day and the cheap Chinese air pressure switch had already failed.

Maybe I got my dates wrong, but methinks in 2006 it was compulsory to install HE boilers, that would make this installation illegal, in my book that is a cowboy job.
If a system needs flushing 2 years after installation, it was either not cleaned at all or not properly, and not adequately protected with inhibitor, that also makes it a cowboy job.
It is also unlikely that your system was installed by glowworm. It was probably done by one of their “approved” installers.
I have one client with similar boiler and situation, and that installation was also a complete botch. Impossible to prove, but the benchmark sheet was completely falsified.

iv had a problem like this with a micron ,have you measure the resistance on your thermista think it should be 17oms

Did you ever post a picture of the F&E tank...the insides...that will give an indication of the system.[/size]

Yes I did. We took the advice given on the forum and got rid of Glowarm. They had completely messed up our system and after 3 separate visits could not tell us what the problems was. It was either this or could be that or that one. Guesswork!

Anyway we had a new organisation come in and they replaced the Small F & E tank cover, changed the 3 port valve to the correct position and power flushed the system with sentinel.

Everything seemed fine until the next day when we came home to a cold house. The boiler has switched itself back to reset. We tried everything and called the company back. The engineer pressed the rest button on the timer and it worked properly for another 24 hours. Then switched itself back to reset. They came back again and said it could be a faulty timer.

I am at loss for words. The timer is only a few weeks old also changed by Glowarm who thought that was the reason we had no hot water. How the timer could be switching the boiler back to reset. I am no engineer but could diagnosis of a simple problem be so difficult.

As for the boiler the micron has a reputation for poor circuit boards. What do the LEDs on the front indicate? [/quote]

The LEDs on the timer shows 2PU (which is the setting by the engineer when the timer was installed) but when you press reset on the timer, the boiler will work okay for a reasonable numebr of hours[/size].

thanks

Its not unknown for dodgey firm to fit known suspect parts because that guarantees further charged visits!

Its most common when the nupties are not paid a salary but a commission on the labour charge. As they have no interest in the customers well being or the firms reputation all they consider is their own pocket!

Thats why a small firm usually gives better service because they care about their reputation and get most new work by recommendation.

Tony

Symptom of a faulty P.C.B, very common fault on the microns, we must have changed 30+
There have been 7 modifications/updates to the MicronFF P.C.B since this piece of junk was released.
The latest modified board seems to have solved the intermittent lockout problem.

Thank u.

My partner and I have personally lost respect for plumbers. Most of them do the job for money and feel they don't owe their customers a duty of care. 10% are genuine and 90% are cowboys who studied plumbing because they needed something to get them off the dole queue.

Since Dec 24 we have had problems with our heating and till today had no resolution.

We had loud vibrating noise in our pipes in the airing cupboard and called Glowarm whom we had paid for 3 years for servicing without claiming a thing. Glowarm who are meant to be a reputable company and serviced our fairly new system (2005) came round 3 times and changed three different things (timer, valve, thermostat) but nothing worked because it was all guesswork and when they finally returned our call it was to ask us why we stopped our direct debit. We hired another plumbing firm One stop plumbing and they came four times, flushed the system, changed our 3 port valve and changed our bedroom valve all for a nice sum of £585 plus VAT and left us with a boiler that didn’t work either. It started switching to reset. Each time we called they sent us the same useless engineer who asked me (a lawyer) what I think the problem might be. We called another company again who are now coming on Monday after the One stop threatened to charge us for their next visit (forgetting that all the visits they made so far had not solved our problem and left us (with a small child) with no heating for 3 weekends. We have no idea when we would have heating. I read on this site plumbers accusing people for paying comboys and I just laugh. Is cowboys written on anyone’s forehead? All the engineers that visited our home were Corgi registered but all they are interested in is taking your money. They have no spirit of excellence. We paid lots of money to ‘corgi' registered engineers with big names, Glow arm, one stop plumbing , took six days off in all to wait at home yet we are still without heating as we speak.

Can you blame customers for accusing plumbers of not having any pride in their job and loosing faith in the whole plumbing industry?

...probelm solved.

A corgi registered engineer came round. The pressure of the boiler was too high. The engineer found that it was sent at 17 and the correct setting should be 10.

Boiler now working perfectly.

Thank you to everyone.

...probelm solved.

A corgi registered engineer came round. The pressure of the boiler was too high. The engineer found that it was sent at 17 and the correct setting should be 10.

Well he certainly did not call by as an accident!

Where did he come from or how did he come to be there?

Or where did you find him?

Is he a sole prop?

Tony

...It was actually a British gas engineer. Despite all the criticisms levied on BG, the engineer was thorough and was the only engineer to open the boiler panel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back