Boiler too high on wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had a new Vaillant Ecotek 37Kw wall mounted gas boiler installed in our downstairs toilet. It is exactly where the old one was although it is slightly higher up on the wall, the bottom of the boiler is about 1.9m off the floor. About a month after installation the gas valve failed and was replaced by a Vaillant engineer who wrote a long note saying it was too high, requiring a step ladder to work from and that future engineers might refuse to service it. He suggested re-siting it but there is nowhere obvious for it to go. We have had numerous British Gas engineers in to repair the old one (with no complaints) which still needed step ladder access but was about 1.6m off the floor. What is the forum's view?

Sponsored Links
The vaillant engineer was correct, I have worked for one of the big six who do not allow work from steps

Sponsored Links
The vaillant engineer was correct, I have worked for one of the big six who do not allow work from steps

Not disputing, but what about climbing on worktops? Or is there a minimum height requirement for recruits ?

Better Close to the ceiling than to the floor, IMO

Bg were funny they used to say you can work from steps with 3 points of contact then when having complaints left right and centre said your legs are 2 points of contact and your knees 2 more!

Knock up a wooden platform that sits below the boiler, cover with non slip paint/grit. Make sure it can't move - then store it somewhere when not needed:idea:

Not disputing, but what about climbing on worktops? Or is there a minimum height requirement for recruits ?

Better Close to the ceiling than to the floor, IMO
didnt say I agreed with it mate, just saying that was their policy, cant even properly remember what it was , a certain height and job could not take more than 20 mins while woking above floor level or some daft thing like that

The blokes a short-arsed whinging jobsworth. Leave it where it is. It’s not exactly working at height, is it?
Maybe so, but importantly he's a jobsworth who has the power to suspend the warranty, so it's probably best to keep him on side.

Knock up a wooden platform that sits below the boiler, cover with non slip paint/grit. Make sure it can't move - then store it somewhere when not needed:idea:
I did think of doing something like that! I could probably find some kind of platform alternative to a step ladder. They probably wouldn't accept a home-made platform though as it would not have the necessary safety testing certificate! Seems totally crazy to me, imagine an electrician or plumber deciding that they would not work off a step ladder! Is there something particularly frail or weak about boiler fitters?

We never had a peep out of the very many British Gas engineers who attended to service and fix the breakdowns of the ancient Potterton boiler that was there before.

Maybe so, but importantly he's a jobsworth who has the power to suspend the warranty, so it's probably best to keep him on side.
So if he is a dwarf it needs to be no more than 3foot of the floor?

I did think of doing something like that! I could probably find some kind of platform alternative to a step ladder. They probably wouldn't accept a home-made platform though as it would not have the necessary safety testing certificate! Seems totally crazy to me, imagine an electrician or plumber deciding that they would not work off a step ladder! Is there something particularly frail or weak about boiler fitters?

We never had a peep out of the very many British Gas engineers who attended to service and fix the breakdowns of the ancient Potterton boiler that was there before.
Manufacturer engineers twist on21

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back