Boiler wiring /spur

You are forgetting again that my original remark was in relation to a new immersion being connected to an old flex.
I've addressed that. Indeed, other than for the 'old flex', that's identical to the (2) I mentioned in my last post in relation to a fridge.
I have never delivered a fridge. Would it be unreasonable that someone doing that could at the very least plug in a socket tester?
Not unreasonable',no, but do those who deliver fridges and 'plug them in' ever actually do that?

However,my point is that the fact that it's a 'new fridge' does not seem really relevant. What about all the other things that get plugged ingto a socket every day? Should one test, at least with a 'socket tester' before plugging anything in (particular anything that in Class I)?
I note you are not answering any of my questions. ... I'll ask again. ... What would you do to ensure that whatever you had done was safe to operate (as per Part P).
Since you're the electrician, I'm really asking you to advise me as to what should be done.

I can personally only really answer half of the question - if I replaced something by plugging the replacement into an existing socket then, no, I almost certainly would not 'test the circuit' before I plugged it in (any more than I would test any other, unrelated, circuits in the house,m any of which might 'happen to have a fault').
o
You seem to be telling me that if, instead of 'plugging it in', I connect it to an existing FCU, then I should 'test the circuit' - and I am asking why, given that the two situations seem electrically equivalent - if there is no effective CPC on the circuit, then the risk is the same when the item is 'plugged in' as when it's hard wired into an FCU.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
We've been through all this with you before, more than once!

note the full stop, ...
Indeed, but what was before the ful stop was relating toi what G/Y colures could be used to 'identify', but what comes after the full stop relates to what purpose is permitted for a G/Y single-core cable. Two totally different things -hence the full stop between them
yes it continued ........ But this is after a full stop, so it has never said you can use the bi-colour combination green-and-yellow if over sleeved with another colour and part of a multi-core cable. What Amendment 2 did was to clarify this. I have not checked with 16th Edition
I feel sure that in interpreting the pre-Amd2 regulation, one of your beloved courts would exercise more common sense than you seem to be doing :)

As you correctly quote, prior to Amd2, the regulation explicitly said that over-sleeking and use as a live conductor was not permitted in "Single-core cables that are coloured green-and-yellow throughout their length". I feel sure that a court would conclude that if the intent had been for the prohibition to extend to G/Y-insulated conductors in multi-core cables, it would simply have said something like "..... G/Y insulated conductors shall only be used as a protective conductor and shall not be over-marked at their terminations,", without singling out 'singles' in the reg. - and that, since they didn't write that (instead, writing specifically of 'singles') that they clearly intended that the prohibition applied only to G/Y singles, and not also to G/Y-insulated conductors in multi-core cables.

Kund Regards, John

I could write the same ;)

Let's start by making sure we are on the same page ....

Do you agree that if someone replaced an appliance by plugging the new one into the socket that the previous one had been plugged into, then it is 'very unlikely' that they would 'test the circuit' before plugging it in'?

If so, are you saying that they are 'wrong' not to test the circuit before plugging the appliance in?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I could write the same
But you would be unjustified in doing so.

Let's start by making sure we are on the same page ....

Do you agree that if someone replaced an appliance by plugging the new one into the socket that the previous one had been plugged into, then it is 'very unlikely' that they would 'test the circuit' before plugging it in'?
I do agree.

If so, are you saying that they are 'wrong' not to test the circuit before plugging the appliance in?
If the homeowner then that's up to them.

If a delivery person then I think using a socket tester would be minimum good practice.

If hard-wiring an appliance then I think the circuit should be tested.

I do not understand why you can answer everyone else's questions at great length but refuse to say what you would do in this respect because you are not an electrician.
Reminder: I was not talking about plugging in things.

I've just noticed that I never responded to this ....

I do not understand why you can answer everyone else's questions at great length but refuse to say what you would do in this respect because you are not an electrician.
I'm not really 'refusing to say', but thought that, particularly given that I am not am electrician, and am not offering services as an electrician or 'appliance installer', it would really be inappropriate for me to describe (in public') "what I would (or would not) personally do" (e.g. in my own home), since that might be taken by other readers as 'guidance/advice' (with which you and other electricians may disagree). However, if it makes you happier, I will answer your question literally.
Reminder: I was not talking about plugging in things.
I know, but 'plugging things in' is an important starting point for my thought processes.

If I were 'plugging in' a re[placement appliance into an existing socket (probably one that had been used for years for the appliance being replaced), I doubt that I would even dream of first 'testing' the circuit in any way, any more than I would before plugging anything into any socket in the course of normal daily life.

As far as the circuit is concerned, there is nothing special about the point in time at which an appliance needs to bee replaced. I test all circuits periodically at intervals which seem appropriate, and see no reason why I should additionally test an individual circuit just because something is about to be connected to (e.g. plugged into) it.

Now moving to the 'hard-wired' situation, I see absolutely no electrical difference between 'plugging in' and connecting to the terminals of an FCU, switch or outlet plate etc. - particularly given that any testing would probably be undertaken before the 'connection' was made. Again, testing of circuits should b undertaken at intervals considered to be appropriate, not also at additional essentially random points in time when it so happens that something is about to be connected to the circuit.

So, what I would personally do (e.g. in my home) would almost certainly be exactly the same in the case of hard-wired connections than with 'plugged in' ones - i.e. it's unlikley that I would even think of testing the circuit before connecting the load.

You (and maybe others) may well not 'approve' of what I've said of myself - which, as above, is the main reason why I didn't really want to answer your question, given that other readers might take it as 'guidance/advice'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back