Boilermate 2000 Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction here. I've got a Boilermate 2000 and it's making a horrible buzzing sound nearly all the time. The only time the buzzing sound stops is if I turn the thermostat up and fire up the boiler it will stop then (only if the timer switch is set to the 1 position, the actual timer seems to be borked). As soon as I turn the thermostat down and hear the little click sound the buzzing comes back.
I'm also getting intermittent hot water but only out of the bath tap! Last night the batch tap was cold while the sink tap next to the bath was scolding hot, also the bathroom radiator is on constantly even if I set the switch on the timer down to the 0 position.
The manual with the boiler is next to useless as it tells me absolutely nothing.

Sponsored Links
The buzzing is possibly a relay on the PCB. It may be a precursor to a failure.

Its not logical that you get hot water out of the tap in the basin but cold water from the bath tap.

All I can imagine is that the bath tap is a joystick type thas has broken inside.

Tony

The buzzing is possibly a relay on the PCB. It may be a precursor to a failure.
So I should just buy a replacement PCB board?

Its not logical that you get hot water out of the tap in the basin but cold water from the bath tap.
All I can imagine is that the bath tap is a joystick type thas has broken inside.
Tony
I agree, it had me baffled last night but I'm no plumbing expert. It's only just started happening and it's intermittent.

Is this actually a 2000, or a Boilermate 2.

The buzzing fault usually occurs on the 2 model.

Sponsored Links
Is this actually a 2000, or a Boilermate 2.
The buzzing fault usually occurs on the 2 model.

It's a 2000. The noise if a fairly loud buzzing, vibrating kind of noise. It only happens when the central heating is off, as soon as the heating comes on you hear the the thing firing up and the noise disappears.

never heard a buzzing on the 2000. The pcbs are very unreliable and very expensive! However the most common sympton is intermittent boiler overheating. I can't imagine what might be buzzing.
I suspect your hot water problem is not related as Agile has already pointed out.
It doesn't make sense that the bathroom radiator heats up as the heating, store and hot water all have seperate pumps. I can only imagine this is since installation and there is some issue with the way its installed.
This is possibly one of Gledhills worst products :(

btw have you tried removing the case to locate the noise? you just slaken 2 screws and the whole thing lifts off.

I have taken the cover off, the problem is that the noise is so loud it's hard to locate the exact position of it. :eek:
I don't know a great deal about plumbing tbh so I think I'll just get someone in to look at it.

Have you followed the diagnostics for the HW problem?

I would bet the display will tell you there is a HW sensor error.

Very common.

As for the buzzing :confused:

On the inside of the door there is a diagram showing you how to test the thermisters. Normally its the top one. It usually says 'Her' if theres a problem. Wiggle the wire close to the thermister and an intermittent fault often shows itself.
The other thermister goes wrong sometimes and the store sensor never goes wrong.
If it can provide hw for a basin but not a bath then its possible that one side or the other of the plate heat exchanger is clogged up.
OR the thermal water store [small tank] needs replenishing
OR the pump is slow or been turned down from its max speed
OR the thermal store isnt hot enough
OR the water is going through too fast for the store to get heat into it. [Pretty hard to do as these have capacity for a very fast flow rate] Now youre thinking on this line you will see that slowing the bath water flow could give you the HW you need
I have seen the pcb cause this problem as well by not providing a full voltage to the pump Look to the right of the green led's the tiny rectangular octocoupler chips are notorious for going wrong.
IIRC PCB is a GT155 and cost over £240. Whatever. I have a few knackered ones kicking about here that like the tin can they came from belong in the bin

Edit
Reading over with regards to the buzzing i reckon it might be the timer relay thats doing the buzzing
baxi part number 247206 or 247207 should be a suitable replacement
ts just a graslin timer used by most of the manufacturers Terminals 1 and 2 are live and nuetral 240v. Terminal 3 is common low voltage this switches to 4 on the above mentioned baxi timers or sometimes terminal 5 depending on manufacturer . Ravenheat for eg use terminal 5
These timers are always a bugger to keep in place and always get pushed through. Long socket plate screws and nuts can be an answer. Often I find a couple of gold window fitters type broad thread screws that seem to do the job

I have the same deep humming sound. Seem to get the noise when I turn on either a hot or a cold tap.

Did anyone ever find a soliution?

I have the same deep humming sound. Seem to get the noise when I turn on either a hot or a cold tap.

Did anyone ever find a soliution?

Think/hope i've solved this, after a bit more time on google! It was just a toilet cistern, which I'll have to replace but have turned down the input tap on it for now.

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/plumbing/loud-fog-horn-noise-when-toilet-flushed-35192.html
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070827122336AAP56hr

It did have me worried for a bit & of course turning on either the hot or the cold tap reduced the noise with this system.
Cheers,
Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back