Boilermate III - Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, we moved into a new build in 1999. Throughout this time we have had CH problems, mainly caused by the Gledhill Boilermate III in our system. I'll describe the situation as best as I can remember it, please bear with me.

Recently we have been experiencing variations in hot water temp and so called in BG under service agreement. Looks like this one is terminal as sludge is building up and the engineer believed that the system cold water pipe has become restricted. After calling Gledhill it appears this system cannot be powerflushed and so the situation is only going to get worse.

This leaves us with the option of replacing the system which is something we can ill afford to do but something that we have no control over so it will have to be dealt with. As I see it our options are to install a combi boiler system (We are in a 2 bedroom flat with just the 2 of us) or replace the Boilermate (Hopefully with something that isn't going to die within 10 years). Can anyone offer some advice, searching through the forum revealed a general dislike for this kind of system but I must be economical about this and my preference would probably be to replace as is. I appreciate all input and if I am just being stupid about keeping the system as it is please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
you can run a new cold feed pipe on the outside of the boilermate between the feed tank at the top and the drain off pipe at the bottom.

this should get it running as normal if thats the only problem. i have a boilermate 2 running this fix for more than 3 years with no issues.

BG should be aware of this fix if there are enough of them in the area.

Thanks Nickso for the reply. Can you, or anyone else for that matter, confirm this fix will work for the Boilermate III? This option wasn't presented at all so I don't know if the engineer just didn't know about it or if it just isn't possible on the Boilermate III.

If someone can confirm this fix will work can should I call BG again to get someone back and tell them about this. Will they definately carry out the work or can they refuse on the basis that it is outwith the original design? Again, thank you for your input.

Bring on Dr Drivell and the salesman, aka water systems.

Sludge Buckets, just rip the rubbish out.

Sponsored Links
pashek said:
Thanks Nickso for the reply. Can you, or anyone else for that matter, confirm this fix will work for the Boilermate III? This option wasn't presented at all so I don't know if the engineer just didn't know about it or if it just isn't possible on the Boilermate III.

If someone can confirm this fix will work can should I call BG again to get someone back and tell them about this. Will they definately carry out the work or can they refuse on the basis that it is outwith the original design? Again, thank you for your input.

it is possible and it does work. gledhill themselves told me about it. it is of course outside the original design but what have you got to lose? the BM3 is buggered anyway so get it done and use the extra time it gives you to get your finances in order for a new system in your own time.

BG being the masters of slow decisions will probably mess around for ages and then refuse to do it. all you can do is ask.....its not dangerous or in anyway going to make the system suffer. all you are doing is moving a pipe from the inside of the BM3 to the outside.

draining the BM3 will be the longest part fo the job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back