Replacement for Gledhill Boilermate III

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all, we are trying to get some quotes for the replacement of our Gledhill Boilermate 3. Please can I get some suggestions for replacements? We had BG engineer around and all they seem to be interested in is installing a combi boiler but unfortunately this is not practical for us.

Thanks

[edit] BG have quoted based on the boilermate 2000 as a replacement. Is this the most up to date model we can get or are there alternatives to consider. I need to make a call on this ASAP so please, if you can, can you give me some feedback?[/edit]

Sponsored Links
Sorry but we aren't psychic! We know nothing of your needs.

Sorry, my edit was not clear. We cannot have a combi installed as we would require significant work in our kitchen to allow for one to be installed so it has been ruled out. We are simply looking at a like for like replacement but I am wondering if there is a better choice than a Gledhill Boilermate? I wasn't really expecting anyone to be psychic. As it is just a replacement I thought there was enough info.

Sponsored Links
any type of cylinder could be made to fit if you threw enough money at it. the only real issue being the lack of pumps/valves/header tanks in your house as the BM3 takes care of all of that. it can be resolved with time and money though.

there is an issue when installing a BM2000 in place of a BM3 but i cant remember what it is. im sure there is a pipework issue but it can be resolved easily enough from my vague memory of the last time i did one.

i would be tempted by the BM2000 as ive no complaints about them, they are far more reliable than the BM3 but perhaps a little less reliable than a conventional system simply due to the fact they have more electric/electronic parts inside them.

i would always get more than one quote though.

I've replaced quite a few with megaflo's and obviously associated pipe work changes. Although I've got a boilermate in my property, I hate it :rolleyes:

i liked my BM2. if you you look after them they are decent.

not really a cylinder for joe bloggs though as they dont look after them.

Thanks for the input. The replacement to a BM 2000 seems like the best option. Due to the work involved I would be happier to leave any major work (installation of combi boiler etc) until perhaps we redo the kitchen at which time the work could be completed at the same time and the disruption would not be so important.

As I understand it, by installing the BM anyway we are limiting ourselves as the boiler itself will need to be replaced by a condensing boiler eventually which would mean the entire system would become useless anyway.

Our homecare agreement means we have no labour costs and the quote came in at £1625 completely installed (removal of old system and powerflush of system included). Is there really much point to getting further quotes? I'm not sure how much the BM 2000 would cost but this seems reasonable.

Thanks for the input guys.

nickso said:

Nickso, I would be more than happy to try looking after this next BM a bit more to avoid any issues. This is, Joe Bloggs believes that by getting their annual service that the system is being maintained. If you could indicate some basics for looking after the system that would be great.

pashek said:
nickso said:

Nickso, I would be more than happy to try looking after this next BM a bit more to avoid any issues. This is, Joe Bloggs believes that by getting their annual service that the system is being maintained. If you could indicate some basics for looking after the system that would be great.

well the BM2000 is different to the BM2/3 in regards to servicing and TBH i haven't had the pleasure of owning one.

my BM2 benefitted greatly from draining down every year and double dosing with inhibitor. my mate still owns the flat, and BM2, and to date the only problem he has had is the notoriously poor mixer valve. too many of them suffer from pump failure and sludge blocking the cold feed etc. if every owner drained and reinhibited every year then there would be far less failures IMO. i believe the BM2000 could be the same but im not sure.

BG are in fact under no obligation to do this for you and it would be a chargeable job under their terms and conditions. most owners simply cant be arsed or just dont know that is the case.

As I understand it, by installing the BM anyway we are limiting ourselves as the boiler itself will need to be replaced by a condensing boiler eventually which would mean the entire system would become useless anyway.

some people do believe that but im not convinced.

Thanks for the input. The replacement to a BM 2000 seems like the best option. Due to the work involved I would be happier to leave any major work (installation of combi boiler etc) until perhaps we redo the kitchen at which time the work could be completed at the same time and the disruption would not be so important.

there is absolutely no point in putting a BM2000 in and then ripping it out to put acombi in in a very short period. i understand your current BM3 might be knackered but there has to be a better solution than that. you would be better off ripping all the pipework out of the kitchen and moving it all to a combi in the loft or something. i doubt the expense of that would add up to effectively installing two systems within say 5 years.

Our homecare agreement means we have no labour costs and the quote came in at £1625 completely installed (removal of old system and powerflush of system included). Is there really much point to getting further quotes? I'm not sure how much the BM 2000 would cost but this seems reasonable.

as reasonable as it may be i would still get other quotes. get some for unvented cylinders too. the BM2000 is a pricey piece of kit and you might find joe plumber will be cheaper to put an unvented in.

All I would say about BM3's is that mine has been so unreliable since moving in in January that I've cut my losses and am getting a combi fitted next week. Never once considered another thermal store.

The BM in my airing cupboard has a large dint in it which I assume was caused by the previous owners bashing it with a stick because it was such a heap of junk. It's had 2 3-port valves replaced and must be due another failure any time now.

I know combi's have drawbacks but I'll take them over the BM3.

RichThompson said:
All I would say about BM3's is that mine has been so unreliable since moving in in January that I've cut my losses and am getting a combi fitted next week. Never once considered another thermal store.

The BM in my airing cupboard has a large dint in it which I assume was caused by the previous owners bashing it with a stick because it was such a heap of junk. It's had 2 3-port valves replaced and must be due another failure any time now.

I know combi's have drawbacks but I'll take them over the BM3.

BM2's are better that BM3's for reliablity. bet your 3pv's were changed because they were passing.......did anyone say sludge?!?!

nickso said:
BG are in fact under no obligation to do this for you and it would be a chargeable job under their terms and conditions. most owners simply cant be a***d or just dont know that is the case.

I agree and am guilty, this is a lack of knowledge and belief that such things are covered in an annual service. Too much trust and not enough research.

some people do believe that but im not convinced.

Really, I thought legislation would not allow me to install a regular boiler that would work with a thermal store? Could you let me know why you don't hold this view?

there is absolutely no point in putting a BM2000 in and then ripping it out to put acombi in in a very short period. i understand your current BM3 might be knackered but there has to be a better solution than that.

We could get it fixed. It has broken down so many times it isn't funny. This may be due to the lack of knowledge mentioned earlier or we have just been unlucky. To be fair, most of the problems have been different issues and I don't think off the top of my head the same problem has happened twice. It is starting to get sludge build up. Would draining as you mentioned before make any difference now?

you would be better off ripping all the pipework out of the kitchen and moving it all to a combi in the loft or something. i doubt the expense of that would add up to effectively installing two systems within say 5 years.

The work involved in installing a combi (we are in a flat) would require planning permission, structural changes to the flat which would require scaffolding and a huge amount of work to the pipes. I'm fairly sure we would not be allowed to use the loft space for any installation. The cost of this is something we cannot even contemplate right now. However, as I said it is conceivable that the kitchen would be replaced in the next few years. At this time any such work would not be as disruptive and could be planned better. It is very true that installing 2 systems would, in the long run, be more expensive but this would work better for us in terms of planning.

However, given that you have indicated that you don't feel the entire system would need to be replaced in the future then I would be happy to keep the thermal store. I think, in theory, it's great. When it is working we have a great supply of hot water and it meets every requirement we have. However, the system itself lets us down more than I'd like it to.

as reasonable as it may be i would still get other quotes. get some for unvented cylinders too. the BM2000 is a pricey piece of kit and you might find joe plumber will be cheaper to put an unvented in.

As above, I am perfectly happy to install the BM2000, especially if in the years to come when the boiler needs replacing we can keep the system as is.

Nickso, your advice to this point as been invaluable and I thank you for your time.

RichThompson, LOL at the dint in your boilermate, I can relate to whoever put it there.

Sorry to bump up this thread but I would just like some clarification on whether it will be possible to install a normal boiler in the future if we choose to install boilermate now?

All boilermates require 'normal' boilers, but due to their design in that they need the boiler to run with boiler stat at maximum they are not really suitable for condensing boilers as these boilers should be running with stat set at 60C max :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back