Bolier not firing for hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

About a week ago, our neighbour was having the waterpipe to his house replaced. As a result our water supply was cut off for a couple of hours whilst united utilities did the work.

Since the water was turned back on, our boiler no longer works properly. The hot water no longer triggers the boiler to come on. So whilst we can have hot water when we have the heating on, it will not work otherwise.

The pressure also now falls to zero during times that the heating is not on. I have tried letting more water into the system to increase the pressure, but it still seems to end up at zero if the system is off long enough.

Is there something simple that was triggered by our water supply being turned off?

The boiler is a SIME, and about 7 years old. We have sold the house and will be moving out in early Jan so really don't need to replace the entire boiler now. I also though don't want to simply leave the problem for the next people.

Any sugestions?

Sponsored Links
Search the frequently asked questions at the top of the page, under pressure problems, sounds like an expansion issue.

Norton - thanks for that, it is easy when you know what to look for. I'd have searched for ages to get to that.

The FAQ would seem to indicage that it is a case of needing to repressure the pressure vessel.

This sounds fairly straight forward, but is it really as easy as draining out some water and pumping air in through the valvle? (which is fairly easy to spot on my boiler) - my default setting for any boiler issue is to call in someone who knows what they are doing so happy to be told to leave well alone.

Sponsored Links
Yes very simple , make sure you have the drain open while pumping air back in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back