Bonding Query

Sponsored Links
The OP asked

is cross bonding between a stainless steel sink and the copper water pipes still required

He didn't ask "if his sink needed to be bonded"

The answer is no.

Tell me which regulation requires cross bonding between a stainless steel sink and the copper water pipes if I'm wrong.

Sponsored Links
Seems to have opened a can of worms here. As you say RF, I only asked about bonding between the sink and pipes. All other Main bonding appears to be in place. Thanks again, dont know what makes Holmslaw think you are making an assumption when the OP clearly states the sink and pipes are metal. Water pipes are all bonded at the boiler which is about 4 feet away from the sink.

is cross bonding between a stainless steel sink and the copper water pipes still required even if the consumer unit is fitted with MCB's and RCD' ?

Look at 544.2.3, it makes no mention of protective devices, and a ss sink and connected waterpipes could both be extraneous conductive parts, and that is why they could need bonding.
But the sink still does not need bonding to the pipes.

544.2.3 is concerned only with the size of supplementary bonding conductors ???

If the circuits are protected by an RCD, as stated by the OP, supplementary bonding is no longer required even in a bathroom let alone connecting a kitchen sink to its pipes which will/should be bonded already if necessary.

I last "cross-bonded" a kitchen sink in 1991 under the 15th.

They are made with tags presumably for other markets.

Although sinks can be supplementary-bonded in certain environments if the designer deems it necessary. However, this is more usual in a commercial situation.

There are numerous flat and houses connected to lead/copper/cast iron drainage pipes ie extraneous conductive parts.
I don't doubt it - but in such cases those drainage pipes require main bonding back to the MET, and don't create any need to (supplementary) bond things to one another with the rooms they enter...
Thats demonstrating a massive lack of experience.
Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back