Bonding Required?

T

timmyquick

Is bonding required in a bathroom if there is just one electrical item i.e the light which is outside all the zones? I have very tall ceilings (terraced house). I have a radiator in the bathroom in zone 2. There is cross bonding between the pipes Hot & Cold before plastic flex pipes to the actual taps.

Sponsored Links
Are we talking theology or strict adherence to regulations? Bonding is required in any bathroom in a house with an electricity supply. Irrespective, I think, of whether there is electricity in the bathroom.

However, from the regulation point of view anything outside the zones is outside the bathroom, so does not need to be bonded. Just beware the light does not dangle down into a zone.

Stratocruiser said:
Are we talking theology or strict adherence to regulations? Bonding is required in any bathroom in a house with an electricity supply. Irrespective, I think, of whether there is electricity in the bathroom.
No.

Regulation 601-04-01 requires that the protective
conductor terminals of each circuit supplying Class I and
Class II electrical equipment in zones 1, 2 or 3, and
extraneous-conductive-parts in these zones, are all
connected together by local supplementary equipotential
bonding conductors complying with Regulation Group
547-03.

However, from the regulation point of view anything outside the zones is outside the bathroom
No - you are not allowed socket outlets anywhere in a bathroom, even outside the zones.

Does regulation 601-04-01 mean that everyone should have the earth terminal of there shower, extractor fan etc. connected to the earth on there pipes and bath etc???? And has anyone ever done because i've never seen it done after all any class 1 appliances should have an earth leading back to the main earth rail and class 2 may not in most cases have an earth terminal.

Sponsored Links
clarke24 said:
Does regulation 601-04-01 mean that everyone should have the earth terminal of there shower, extractor fan etc. connected to the earth on there pipes and bath etc???? And has anyone ever done because i've never seen it done after all any class 1 appliances should have an earth leading back to the main earth rail and class 2 may not in most cases have an earth terminal.

Yes it does. And the NICEIC check for it on thier inspections. I have been coonecting the cpc in a circuit to the piping in bathrooms since the regulation was introduced. The cpc in a class 2 appliance is terminated in a connector block for the provision of the appliance ever being changed to a class 1.

clarke24 said:
Does regulation 601-04-01 mean that everyone should have the earth terminal of there shower, extractor fan etc. connected to the earth on there pipes and bath etc????
Yes.

And has anyone ever done
Widely, I believe...

because i've never seen it done
Then you've never seen it done properly..

after all any class 1 appliances should have an earth leading back to the main earth rail and class 2 may not in most cases have an earth terminal.
You're right about Class IIs, but the cpc of the circuit should be connected to the bonding. And I think I see some confusion here. This is not about earthing, it is about equipotential bonding. It's done to equalise the potential of extraneous-conductive-parts, not to provide an earth for appliances!!

when we re-wire a house we take a 4mm from the light to the rad and to the sink

Thanks for the response guys , I served my time as a maintenance electrician in a factory (where I still work), so have never had to wire a new circuit in a bathroom but have changed light fittings in the past and never noticed a 2.5mm or 4mm bonding cable although it probably depends on the zone the light was in or if the regs where in place when the light was installed.
This leads me to another question, if I where to replace a light fitting within a bathroom Which I can do without notifying building control but it required the bonding to be upgraded (Which I can't do without notifying building control) does that work have to be done to satisfy the building regs or could a minor works cert be written and this be written in as a departure from the regs so the owner knows there is work required???

What would you like the answer to be?

Seems to me that you can pick any reasonable interpretation of the various overlapping rules, and that as long as what you have done is not demonstrably unsafe, there isn't a local authority in the land that is going to try to take you to court.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back