Bonkers price ranges for a drill right angle attachment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently purchased a new Metabo cordless drill. It has a quick change removable chuck. It accepts off set chucks, torque increasing chucks and right angle chucks.

I decided to purchase the right angle attachment, the product code is 627242000

I entered the code in to the Google search box. The price seems to vary from £17 to £150.

I suspect that the retailers selling at the stoopid prices are confusing it with product code 631078000 which does indeed sell for that kind of price, no idea why it is so much more expensive than the one I want though. Mine is rated at 110Nm, the other version is 110Nm.

Sponsored Links
I have an older version of the second one, it fits, with a bit of tinkering, any standard drill (mines fitted on a Bosch). No Idea on the price difference if the quality is similar, I think mine is ridiculously expensive and the other is ridiculously cheap.

IMG_20230418_084037890.jpg

I have an older version of the second one, it fits, with a bit of tinkering, any standard drill (mines fitted on a Bosch). No Idea on the price difference if the quality is similar, I think mine is ridiculously expensive and the other is ridiculously cheap.

View attachment 301186

I would have expected the cost of the attachment (for my drill) to be in the £30-£50ish range. I had a right angle attachment for a Festool cordless about 12-15 years ago, it retailed at about £50 at the time but was more advanced in that it was twist fit rather than clamp based.

Maybe the Metabo attachment that you have was pretty unique (in being, seemingly universal) at the time, hence the price.

A primary difference between yours and the one that I plan to purchase is that mine will not have a thread for the chuck, but I plan to use the quick release chuck supplied with the drill anyway.

Glad to know that the quality is as I would expect of Metabo (thanks). I am, by my own admission, a Festool fanboy in most cases but have always been pleased with Metabo drills.

Sponsored Links
I recently bought this off Amazon and it seems nice and solid. Originally I wanted a new battery for my Bosch Blue right-angle drill but the batteries alone cost around £90 - if you can even find one. Shame to junk the Bosch but there you go.

Annoyingly, I have since discovered that the quick release chuck on my Metabo does not connect to the right angle attachment, meaning that I am limited to using hex fittings. Not happy... Have just emailed Metabo.

If you purchased the right angle attachment, product code 627242000 it is designed to take the Metabo quick change chuck https://www.metabo.com/uk/en/access...hange-drill-chucks-s-1-m-quick-627240000.html
Thanks for the reply.

The grooved part on the cordless/angle attachment (designed to accept the ball bearings) does not align with the ones on the chuck of the drill. And I am pretty sure that the chuck in you link was the one supplied with my drill.

I have had a few pints on the way home. I will double check things... for a second time (when sober).

Thanks for replying though.

Last edited:
Annoyingly, I have since discovered that the quick release chuck on my Metabo does not connect to the right angle attachment, meaning that I am limited to using hex fittings. Not happy... Have just emailed Metabo.

I have since discovered that the quick release chuck on my 12v Metabo drill will fit the right angle attachment. The downside is that I will be limited to 10mm drill bits and I am not sure that the chuck supplied with a 45Nm drill will be able to deal with the130Nm of the 18v drill.

If you purchased the right angle attachment, product code 627242000 it is designed to take the Metabo quick change chuck https://www.metabo.com/uk/en/access...hange-drill-chucks-s-1-m-quick-627240000.html

I now think that I have the (supplied) 627189000 chuck

The right angle attachment 627242000 is what I what I purchased.

If you look at the following image you will see that the chucks are designed to sit on a shaft that has both a groove and dents for ball bearings.

0318400m_01.jpg

The angle attachment doesn't have the ball bearing dents.

The following lead me to believe that all would be good

quick_quickplus_01.jpg

My drill is the LTX 3.

The chuck that you linked to (627240000) is listed as being suitable for my LTX 3 (quick) and the slower LTX. You are correct that it says that the
627240000 chuck is compatible with the right angle attachment- I just can't get my head around the fact that the chuck (you listed) will attach to the drill shaft and the right angle attachment, but my chuck won't.

Conversely, I also have a L class drill. The supplied quick release chuck connects to the right angle attachment.

It's all very confusing.

Lovely drills, rubbish website and product descriptions.

Last edited:
I bought a right angle drill from Lidl rather than mess with the adaptors that to me always seem to have their own problems.

I bought a right angle drill from Lidl rather than mess with the adaptors that to me always seem to have their own problems.

Fair enough but I would find the max torque (11Nm hard- 3Nm soft) of your drill to be too limiting. My 12v has a max torque of 45Nm, and my 18v has a max torque of 130Nm.

I don't expect to use either angle attachment very often. The 12v will be used for light jobs like fitting "cornices" to the top of cabinets that are close to the ceiling- the kind of thing that your's will deal with. The 18v for tasks such as drilling flooring flooring joists- your's would not be able to drill a 20mm hole through a Victorian flooring joist.

Yeah, I could buy a dedicated 18v angle drill but I can't justify the cost. Why pay £400+ for one when I can spend £17 and use my existing drill?

I have a dinky little 12 volt Milwaukee which came with a 10mm chuck and both an offset and a right angle front. It can drill 18mm holes in 18mm plywood, but that's a out it. Forget about drilling a dozen 44mm joists for 14mm bolt holes because life is too short (and in any case I reckon it would explode, crash and burn if you asked it to do 40 of 50 in a day). Despite that, it's good for one off holes in awkward kitchen fits, etc

Before getting the Milwaukee I tried various of those cheapo 1/4in hex angle adaptors - and they just fell apart or stripped the gear teeth when worked even slightly hard

I tried a couple of 18 volt angle drills in the past - OK for one off holes, but very slow and ran very hot when doing more than a few holes.

My solution for mass drilling of 3in pitch pine joists a few years back was an 1100 watt Bosch corded drill fitted with a Metabo angle adaptor (at over £100). That particular drill outfit did all the holes for joist sistering on a project where we sistered over 6k joists (so over 25k holes, 14mm diameter, Hilti spade bits mostly). The only thing it needed was a dollop of lithium grease about half way through the job. That's why the big Metabo and Bosch adaptors are big bucks. You get what you pay for

I have a dinky little 12 volt Milwaukee which came with a 10mm chuck and both an offset and a right angle front. It can drill 18mm holes in 18mm plywood, but that's a out it. Forget about drilling a dozen 44mm joists for 14mm bolt holes because life is too short (and in any case I reckon it would explode, crash and burn if you asked it to do 40 of 50 in a day). Despite that, it's good for one off holes in awkward kitchen fits, etc

Before getting the Milwaukee I tried various of those cheapo 1/4in hex angle adaptors - and they just fell apart or stripped the gear teeth when worked even slightly hard

I tried a couple of 18 volt angle drills in the past - OK for one off holes, but very slow and ran very hot when doing more than a few holes.

My solution for mass drilling of 3in pitch pine joists a few years back was an 1100 watt Bosch corded drill fitted with a Metabo angle adaptor (at over £100). That particular drill outfit did all the holes for joist sistering on a project where we sistered over 6k joists (so over 25k holes, 14mm diameter, Hilti spade bits mostly). The only thing it needed was a dollop of lithium grease about half way through the job. That's why the big Metabo and Bosch adaptors are big bucks. You get what you pay for

Thanks for the feedback about 18v angle drills.

Did you use this Metabo angle attachment- the one where you fit a threaded chuck?

Frankly it looks very much like mine, but without the thread and your's has a very slightly lower Nm rating. Mine cost £17 though rather than £100+ that you paid for.

Both require drills with a 6.35mm hex recess and a 43mm collar.

I guess that I could use either on my drill. The only difference seems to be a hundred quid price difference and the need to use a threaded chuck.

Metabo do themselves no favours by not explaining differences between their products.

Did you use this Metabo angle attachment- the one where you fit a threaded chuck?
My set-up utilises a 1/2in keyed chuck (in point of fact a spare DW unit I had) which threads onto the front. I didn't want to use the original Rohm keyless chuck off the Bosch drill because like all keyless chucks it is longer than an equivalent keyed chuck - and when you are side drilling sistered joists in situ you tend to need every millimetre of space you can get.

Mine cost £17 though rather than £100+ that you paid for.
Well, when you need a piece of kit for a job, urgently, there is often little alternative to paying the full price and swallowing it, I'm afraid. Either way it was still a lot cheaper than buying a new Makita angle drill which was only generally available viable alternative at the time IMHO. Given that on a daily basis we were potentially going to be drilling 120 to 150 holes @14mm diameter through the sides of 3in (75mm) thick, 150+ year old pitch pine joists I wasn't prepared to buy a cordless outfit to do the job, especially one which used an incompatible battery system (we were both Makita users). Doubtless with a few days to spare I could have got a better deal on the chuck. Incidentally, the Bosch unit was about half as much again at the time

Both require drills with a 6.35mm hex recess and a 43mm collar.
Err, nope. The one I bought requires a drill with a male threaded arbor mounting on the drill (1/2in UNC 20 tpi - the sort of de facto standard for 1/2in corded drills) and the drive is provided by a pair of hex nuts which need to be locked together on the drill's threaded arbor. It looks like this:

Metabo_631078000.jpg

Those are currently still £109 at FFX

I guess that I could use either on my drill. The only difference seems to be a hundred quid price difference and the need to use a threaded chuck.
Having in the past snapped off a 1/2in square drive adaptor in the 1/4in hex chuck of my impact driver I am not in agreement with that. An all metal threaded chuck is a lot more reliable than a part plastic cordless chuck, and a 1/2in UNC shaft will take a lot more abuse than a 1/4in hex drive shank. The smaller item is OK for the occasional hole, but it won't stand up to the sort of long term abuse I envisaged our unit getting

Did you use this do themselves no favours by not explaining differences between their products.
You may say that, but their response might be something along the lines of "if you need professional advice you should be talking to, and buying from, one of our dealers - who have staff trained to answer your queries". From personal experience Makita and Bosch are little better (try buying the appropriate Makita cordless screwdriver, or even cordless drill and you'll see what I mean - especially if shopping on-line)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back