Book Shelf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello, I need some guidance on the project that I am embarking on. I am looking to build a bookshelf in the space between the chimney and the wall in my sitting room. I do not want to make a straight forward mdf book shelf that will sag once I start to put any books on it. I tend to use MDF or Ply. The finish, I am thinking of spray painting it in white to match the walls and to give the room look spacious. How do i make the bookshelf that will take the weight of the books and will have a proffessional look? All help be very much appreciated. Thank you :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
heeeellloooo and welcome NewWood :D :D :D

need more information

do you plan free standing unit or battons and shelves!!!!!

what size is the alcove [w]x[d]x[h]!!!!

what level of skills do you think you have !!!!!

Thank you Big All for replying.

Bookshelf is not going to be free standing. I want it to look seemless.

The measurements are: H - 2m, W - 1.2m and D - 0.34m.

Skill level, I have not done any fine wood working. I have done some Wood work (rough cuts etc) which have been covered over by the finishings.

The question also is whether the book shelves be made as a unit and installed into the alcove or would it be better to build it into the alcove? :idea:

I also like th look of 'chunky' shelves (40mm thick)...

Sponsored Links
Fix say 19x19 batten to back and both sides of alcove and a fourth piece spanning between the two sides so you have a square frame. Fix 12mm MDF to both the top & bottom of this frame and then face the front with 6mm MDF. Fill and sand then paint with emulsion and finish with clear acrylic to spop the paint marking. Should look lite this and the previous few pics

Jason

Thanks Jason.

IF I understood your instructions correctly, this will still leave me with exposed wall? I am sorry to have not made my intentions clear at the beginning. One of the objective also for this bookshelf is to hide the wall facing the sitting room. Although nothing technically wrong with the wall, it requires replastering to make it smooth.

Would I run a second batten over and under the 19mm batten to fix my covering board on all three sides plus the face? :idea:

PS: thanks for the images. they do really help to visualise my shelves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back