boring night shift

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well hi everybody, I have been checking out the site for a few months now, and tried to avoid the temptation of registering.....however.....
Sunday night during my shift, I was a bit bored and looked into the site and read that one "the bird stuck down the chimney" I read it word for word and finally could not stop laughing, and /or crying at the stupid/hilarious comments you nuts placed. I cannot remember a time when I could not speak to tell someone else what I was laughing at, each time I tried, I burst into tearful laughter, uncontrollable some may say.
So, now i'm, here, thank you all for the other, more sensible comments and some scientific advice, most illuminating.
Excellent Site........thanks........... :D

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
yeah doing a nightshift sitting in front of a computer all night is hard work! Trying to stayawake witttttttttt ttttttttttttttt ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt tttttttttttttttttttttttttjkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkl.l llllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Oops sorry dropped off there ....

Right must be time to pop down to the 24hr supermarket....

There must be advantages to a night shift, but I reckon the two main problems (which go hand in hand as well) are:

1) Very few people to talk to/keep you company
2) Very easy to fall asleep, s*d's law it will be at the wrong moment and get you fired!

Plus daytime telly is c**p. :D

The Firm i used to work for (and i won't mention names, they are a leading company in the UK) one nightshift all the building maintenance electricians as normal got their heads down (they all had sleeping bags and some even used to get changed into jammies!) they used to take turns with a couple of the lads doing the rounds with the preventitive maintenance whilst the rest of the crew got a good nights kip in one of the empty offices in the tower block.
Unfortunately this was the night in the eighties when we had the hurricane and one of the windows in an adjacent office slammed shut and shattered glass came crashing down, security were on the case immediately opening up each office in turn to find the smashed window and coming across a bunch of snoring sparks :LOL: .
Needless to say there were a few bo****kings issued out the next day.

I've often thought that more people would go into HGV-driving if they perfected a lorry autopilot that legally let you go to sleep whilst the truck drove itself.

Heck, I would do it!

I have heard stories of Aussie road-train drivers who can go into a semi-sleeping state at the wheel on the long runs. Not such a good thing seeing as they can be going as much as 100mph and weigh hundreds of tons!!!

Plus daytime telly is c**p.
dunno about you but I get in about 8am and sleep till 3.30 when the kids come home. Daytime telly? What's that!
I'm working for a Telecom company, there are quite a few people on shift and some of the groups are quite busy during night shift. Sleeping is a bit tricky because we have shift managers and some of them frown on it. I fell asleep in my chair next thing I know I'm being shouted at! I felt like I was in school again, but that perticular manager was p*ss*ng me off that night and I very nearly walked!
Apart from having to sit in front of lots of computer screens there's not much to do at night or weekends because most of our traffic is 9-5 business stuff so there are very few faults to do during the night.
Still there's plenty of surfing to do .....

I do shiftwork and have done for the last 17 years, you never get used to it. My company found we have the most addicent between 3am to 5am because your brain is in the rest mode (temporary shutdown) and your body temperatue also drop down, this is why a lots of non-shiftworker at home get up between 3 am to 5 am to go to the toilet because being colder has waken them up ! But having said this I would never do day work ! I do 12hrs shiftwork (37.5 hrs per week) and get a lots of time off !
I don't understand why 90% of company do not do our 12hrs shift pattern, it's the best in the world !

Hey up nighthawks !!
Just think, soon you'll be able to get a drink around the clock, guess companies will then be looking at shift payments , mmmm 'not so anti - social now, working nights'.
I gather that a fair few companies are dropping shift payments in return for an increased salary and full shift rotation ... modern working methods ??
Look after your people and they'll look after you !! too simple that I suppose.

P

between 3 am to 5 am
Yes everyone gets cold arround that time, it's odd! One company i worked at we all complained it was too cold during the night and they instaled temp/humidity recorders. Just as you would expect from a German installed and maintained Air Con syste, a perfect flat line 24hrs! But it was that period that you should be in a deep sleep.
This place I'm at at the moment they seam to have the heating kick in at arround that time so it just makes things hard as you just want to goto sleep!
Ah well, Last night then I got 7 off! That's the best thing...

That is incredible. I always assumed it was because by that time it is hours since you last went, but come to think of it if I stay up past 3am I get really cold.

Yes, it must be a terrible thing when your boss comes and wakes you up at your desk :confused: Hmmmm...

I used to work in an office where one of the consultants would eat his lunch and read the paper for an hour at 12, fall asleep from 1 until about 2-3 o'clock. Then he would work for a bit, fall asleep at 5 and still hadn't woken up at 6. Really bad for office morale however it did bring about a sense of unity as we all spoke loudly about "that fat g*t snoring away in the corner". He got a formal warning about it because he was claiming overtime for time he spent sleeping!!! He was claiming he had worked about 50 hours a week, of which a good 15 hours (or more) was spent snoring away.

Ah the good old contractor! Been there used to put my feet up with the permies and get some Zzz but not in this place, they walk around with a Kane! and the freekin manager is p****ng me off with the remote control! I'm not into Big Brother but I wish he would just leave one channel on! I was just getting into that! He's as bad as my 13yr old girl!

Have you noticed, the person that posted the original message hasnt been back to see the replies?! Maybe they got the sack for bad use of work time!!!!!!!!! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back