Bosch GBH 11 DE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the above breaker that has stopped working. It was working intermittently and needed the cable wiggling to keep it going.

Thinking there must be a loose connection I took the back checked and tightened all the cables and now it won’t work at all.

Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Is there a way I can confirm or test this I can’t really trial a new cable as the original has no earth.

There is a way, but it requires a continuity tester. Power tool cables commonly fail (well, not that commonly, maybe after 4 or 5 years or so of heavy use) where the cable enters the body of the tool and is held in place by a saddle clamp. When the clamp is over tightened (but also with long term use) the copper wires can cut through the insulation or simply break. This potentially explains your problem, assuming that the issue isn't in the plug or at the plug end where exactly the same type of problem can occur

A replacement cable can be had from Bosch, or alternatively most electrical wholesalers will be able to sell you 2- or 3-core 1.5mm2 rubber insulated heavy duty flex by the metre to make up your own flex (most are 3 to 5 metres long, but a bit more length can be advantageous). Alternatively it is at least possible to confirm if the break.is where I've postulated by simply shortening the cable reassembling the tool then trying it (which at least confirms that the problem was at the end, or not) - not ideal, but can be useful as a :keep you going" fix on site

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Well I cut off a couple of Inches and inspected that part of the cable and could not see any damage. I disappointingly put it back together and to my surprise there was life !!!

You wouldn't necessarily see an internal break in the copper, though. Glad you got it sorted

Thanks, it was your reply that motivated me to try.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back