Bosch Keyless Chuck - Stuck! Any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Using my Bosch PSB 700 RES Impact drill today, all good upto tidying away.

I cannot release the drill bit from the drill. The keyless chuck is solid. Tried bare hands, tried gripping it in a vice, nothing!

Drill has hardly any use since bought and is clean, looked after well and always stored in its case.

Any ideas folks?

Sponsored Links
For those of us with barnacled, calloused hands the technique is to put the drill in reverse, grip the chuck and squeeze the trigger!
You may want to swap the hands for the vice but don't crush the chuck.
John :)

Most tradesmen on here have a good right hand grip, I'm one of them!

As John says, if you put it in a vice don't over do it or it will be out of shape and need replacing.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Bump for this guys.

Still not found a way to release the stuck keyless chuck, with drill bit still held in there tight.

Any more ideas? Won't turn by hand, tried gripping in other ways, not budging at all.

Help!

If you drill a sizable piece of timber, or make a V shape out of timber to use as a brake. Obviously the timber will have to be much larger in size and heavier than chuck of the drill. Might be an idea if you could stand on the timber while triggering the drill

Take the drill to full speed in reverse let the trigger off and stall the chuck by plunging the chuck against the timber brake. The chuck will have to make contact with the timber where your hand should hold it. This will determine the size of hole to drill or the size of V to fabricate.

You could also try a filter wrench (chain wrench) to hold the chuck solid.

If you drill a sizable piece of timber, or make a V shape out of timber to use as a brake. Obviously the timber will have to be much larger in size and heavier than chuck of the drill. Might be an idea if you could stand on the timber while triggering the drill

Take the drill to full speed in reverse let the trigger off and stall the chuck by plunging the chuck against the timber brake. The chuck will have to make contact with the timber where your hand should hold it. This will determine the size of hole to drill or the size of V to fabricate.

You could also try a filter wrench (chain wrench) to hold the chuck solid.

Thank you for your reply.

Issue being that the drill is a chuck-less drill. So I cannot plunge the chuck against timber to brake.

I have tried gripping the Chuck grip with similar, and it simply bites into the rubber covering and tears at it.

Do you mean your drill has a 'clutch'......and therefore the drive just slips when you are trying to release the drill bit?
Putting the drill on the highest torque setting usually locks things here, and I'd be looking for a strap wrench to hold the chuck, rather than anything with sharper edges now.
John :)

Had that problem with on old drill the jaws had jammed, locked it in a vice bit upwards and sqirted wd40 into it and left it 2-3 days topping up the wd40 each time I passed it.
If you put it in a vice and do this then put small spanner on it so the spanner rest on 2 or 3 tips of the jaws and then sharp tap with a hammer to spanner, the jaws are forced down and it should release.

Put mole grips on it and then either hit them sharply, or spin the drill in reverse so that they knock against something solid

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back