Bracing on Trusses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am currently installing my roof trusses and I just wanted to check my diagonal bracing as I'm not sure i've got it correct.

Am I missing something here as the diagonal brace doesn't appear to sit nice at the wall plate? Only done one side at the minute. I think my drawings show diagonal bracing crossing over in the middle so I think i need to run another brace from the current house to opposing corner too (so like a cross brace)!

thumb_IMG_8410_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8411_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8412_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8413_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8414_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8415_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8416_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8417_1024.jpg

Sponsored Links
Cheers Noseall, Is it correct how the brace just kinda sits in the corner then? I have cross braced this side now, is the cross section okay like that as one side overlaps the other? Can i just pack the gap between the brace and rafter?

thumb_IMG_8420_1024.jpg
thumb_IMG_8421_1024.jpg

Sponsored Links
The drawing is showing what looks like alternative directions.

Oh, that's confusing then, but that would make sense! :oops: Feel a bit of div now! :ROFLMAO:

I spent ages trying to get those cross members in, thought they were hard to install!

Any problem leaving them in, or should I remove them?

Same issue on mine. It’s both ways, see “narrow fronted roof” diagram on the bottom right of page 2 of this, complete with crossover detail: https://roof-trusses.co.uk/wp-conte...e_duo_pitched_roofs-cheshire-roof-trusses.pdf

I don’t doubt that the crossover thing is probably overkill and if it’s good enough for nosealls roofs it’s good enough for me, but I think you were on the right lines originally Chris.

Same issue on mine. It’s both ways, see “narrow fronted roof” diagram on the bottom right of page 2 of this, complete with crossover detail:

Yeah, I was looking at the "narrow fronted roof" as mine is 3.7 front and 5.6 depth. Having seen another diagram it might be for detached roofs. I dunno! :unsure:

Did you cross brace yours? Did you use the splice as suggested in the diagram? I looked but couldn't find a 600mm splice anyway, only 300mm!

Were building control okay with yours? I can take the second braces out no problem, but now they're in i'm thinking of just leaving them. Truss company sent enough wood.

Yeah, I crossed braced mine, did some kind of splice with the same bracing timber I think. BCO looked at the roof for all of about 5 seconds, so I’m not sure how much he’d have picked up for this kind of detail. I’m sure I had a thread about it on here at the time, can’t find it tho.

The drawing is wrong, it doesn't need cross bracing like that, a diagonal brace on each side of the ridge, depending on the length of the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back