1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

brake pad change leads to damage

Discussion in 'General Cars' started by marsaday, 10 May 2008.

1. marsaday

marsaday

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    i had my brake pads on the front changed and this left me with brakes that pulsed when ever you touch them.

apparently the discs are now out of line. surely this is the mechanics fault.

he is looking at it next week. the car had done 18k and is 2yrs old

2. Sponsored Links
  3. andy1020

andy1020

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    possible it wasn't his fault if you had warped discs or worn discs that your old pads had worn into, meaning that the new ones then had to 'bed in' to your worn discs.

No excuse though as I'd have test driven it after a break job and also noticed if your discs were that badly worn and suggested changing them. Maybe he didn't refit the caliper right, if so I wouldn't go back to him unless you already trust him and it's a one off...

4. Stivino

Stivino

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Maybe it's corrosion around the outside of the disc. sometimes when pushing pistons back bits get knocked off leading to a judder with the new pads. Maybe he's got oil or brake fluid or anti sieze compound on the disc. It could be lots of things.

5. marsaday

marsaday

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    well my warranty covered replacing the discs at the front. i also replaced the rear discs as they had a lot of rust on them. not sure if i will use this guy again.

6. trazor

trazor

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Not sure you should stick with the car, new discs after 2 years/18K...... :eek: :eek:

7. marsaday

marsaday

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    mg zt which had been stored for a yr outside factory when went bust. £13500 for the car was a bargain with lots of extras

8. Sponsored Links