brakes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a car 11th July. 06 reg.

Drove it to france a week after purchase. Whilst there, the brakes were squeeking. This has continued since.

On inspection, the front brake discs are badly worn down (theres a deep groove in the discs front and back where they have worn down) and the pads are practically none existant.

This fault is evident to anyone who sees the car, since it has alloys.

My question is, should the retailer foot the bill for replacing the pads? I did purchase an extended warranty, which kicks in after the manufac. warranty expires in march 09. Though i appreciate discs and pads are not covered.

And do I need to change the discs? Theres a good 2mm ledge around the edge of the disc where theres no wear.

It is a car supermarket (with a service dept though) it seems to be one of those places that does as little as possible to make their cars roadworthy enough to sell.

I'm taking it to them tomorrow after booking an appointment.

Sponsored Links
i agree, good luck but hats off for trying. if the discs have a groove in them its usually best to change them.

what ever you do dont say you have been to france and back :LOL:

If it was old enough for an MOT, and they sold the car with a 12 month ticket even though the brakes would be fine it would show up as an 'advisory' to which they would usually get it done anyway.

Its just bad luck they were on the way out when you bought it. it won't be covered under warranty but perhaps you can blag a freebie or discount.

Even if you don't tell them you went to France, they will still check to see how many miles you have done since purchase.

Good luck :)

yes change the discs if it fits your budget.

Sponsored Links
Steve, you're a tight fecker. Get em changed. Shouldn't cost much on that shopping cart. :LOL:
Maybe you could Do It Yourself... or NOT. ;)

Nowadays, the discs are also consumable items as well as the pads. If you don't change them now you'll have to change them soon enough, and if you leave it they can become harder to dismantle, as well as more dangerous in the meantime.

Change the discs. as you have said their condition was poor, this will only wear any new pads you fit unevenly so if you decided to change the discs later, you would be buying pads as well. They shouldn't be too expensive to change the lot and if you have any DIY skills in this field, they are not really difficult to do. You have not mentioned what the car is, obviously depending on the car will depend on the expence you will have to lay out. There are places that will skim the discs for a price but if they have worn 2mm then they are knackered and not worth doing.

Cheers folks. Could I get this done at any garage, even though still under warranty? I dont understand the motor industry. I didnt end up going today, didnt have time. But I'd rather take it to a local independant if i can - last car I took to a dealer for discs they quoted £180 for front discs and pads (discs had warped). Told em where to shove it lol, me and my dad did it for about £50, parts online, but that car wasnt under warranty.

Gareth! Its a Citroen C4! Dont make me post another picture!!! :LOL:

Before you do any work yourself, I would check with the company that has supplied the warranty and ask them, if you should carry out this work would it jeopardize the warranty, if so, its a garage. Most independent garages will carry out this work.

Photo041.jpg

I think I'd be asking how it was drive before if the discs are knackered after 2 years!!! Assuming it's done a typical 20-25k miles, the discs should NOT be that worn. Typically you should be getting about 50k miles out of a set of front discs, and your rear discs will last longer than you need worry about!

If they've said "one careful lady owner" or VGC, and it's only got 20k miles on it, I'd say they have told you a fib.

If you do end up doing it yourself, get OEM parts. I made the mistake of buying more expensive, "better" discs and pads on my last car. They'd squeal like a stuck pig until you got some heat into them - fine on a twisty country blast, no good on the morning commute.

It might be a Citreon thing. My mate has a four year old Dispatch van and it's on it's third set of front discs already.

Its done 35k (and it was a lady owner on the logbook!). Taking it to my local F1 autocentre tomorrow, friendly fast fit place. Will see what they say. They offer a free brake check, cant hurt can it. Will let y'all know. ;)

Interesting. They had all four wheels off today for a free brake check. They told me the brakes were fine. Nothing wrong with them. :eek:

He said the front discs were due replacement but might as well do it when the pads are due as well, another few thousand miles left on them yet.

I trust this advice, since it is a free brake check - its in their interest to find something to charge me for! :LOL:

He said re. the squeeking, it could be the weather, dust, the lip on the disc where its not worn.

Sponsored Links
Back