brake wind back tool excellent buy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all i have just bought a BRAKE wind back tool kit 21 piece and what a good buy from Ireland from a firm called MEGASTORE 247 £19.00 DELIVERED INCLUDING V A T AND DELIVER
[/img]

Sponsored Links
maybee its me but i didnt count 34 piece or mabee i am not looking hard enough

hi all i have just bought a BRAKE wind back tool kit 21 piece and what a good buy from Ireland from a firm called MEGASTORE 247 £19.00 DELIVERED INCLUDING V A T AND DELIVER
[/img]

Thats not...thats not.....SILVERLINE gear is it :eek: :p
No worries, it'll do the job.
Both are excellent buys.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Excuse my ignorance as my speciality is radio frequency electronics, but what can it do ?

Tony

Are you unfamiliar with this tool, Tony?
Its used on vehicles which have disc brakes on the rear, which also incorporate the handbrake mechanism.
In order for the pads to self adjust, as they wear a ratchet mechanism keeps the pads close to the disc as the piston is forced out by pedal pressure.
To allow the piston to return into the caliper it has to be turned at the same time when pushing it back in.
On 99% of vehicles the piston is turned clockwise to retract.
John :)

Tony - Most cars now use a disc and calliper set up for their rear brakes. Whilst this is good, it causes complexity for the handbrake side of things. As the rear pads wear you would have to pull the handbrake lever up further and further to take up the slack. So rear callipers include a screw type self adjusting system which takes up this slack by leaving the piston protruding more and more as the brake pads get thinner and thinner, keeping the handbrake lever operation within acceptable limits.

When you put new brake pads in the rear you have to somehow get the pistons back to their original position. This means applying pressure to force them back in whilst also screwing / rotating them as well.

It can be done with simple tools, but the above box of tricks makes the job many times easier. The different adapters are to suit the varying sizes of piston and callipers, and by the looks of it that kit will do left hand and right hand threads too.

EDIT: Just a bit too slow with my typing! :LOL:

Right, that explains it then.

I only have cheaper and older cars and have never had any with rear discs!

Thanks !

this toolkit also retracts the front caliper pistons as well so easy and single handed as well no for the wife to come and help I WISH cheers bazz

I have always levered the front pistons back carefully against the disc!

Never broken anything yet!

Did once have a disc split on a 405 with a radial crack about 0.5 mm wide though for no obvious reason!

Tony

I have always levered the front pistons back carefully against the disc!

Never broken anything yet!

Did once have a disc split on a 405 with a radial crack about 0.5 mm wide though for no obvious reason!

Tony

French, say no more.... :LOL:

French company perhaps but they were made near Coventry in the UK.

Unfortunately production was closed about 8 years ago and after three years the factory was demolished.

I found that very disappointing when the UK needs jobs!

The cars generally were very reliable! The BBC bought/leased about 125 of the 405s and only one had significant problems!

But about 40 suffered from cutting out in the fast lane due to water in the petrol.

The main agents cleaned out the carb and then it could reoccur. It was eventually traced to an air balancing pipe in the back wheel arch which was wrongly located and could suck in water!

Tony

" The BBC bought/leased about 125 of the 405s and only one had significant problems!

But about 40 suffered from cutting out in the fast lane due to water in the petrol. "

Well that sounds like a significant problem in a lot more than one car !

My employer also had half a dozen 405's and several of them suffered major cooling-problems when the fluid (IIRC ) turned to viscous sludge when driven fast on motorways/autobahns.[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Back