Brand new boiler - 1 day old - problems already

I would be surprised if the boiler really does need compartment ventilation! Very few modern boilers do!

Soundproofing will have little effect if you then open up vents to let the sound out!

Tony

Sponsored Links
So would the cupboard need a vent?
I'm getting used to the noise now. It's amazing how quick you can get used to something!

You should look at the installation instructions and if you are sure proceed on that basis otherwise specifically ask the manufacturer, in writing if possible.

Tony

Well even though I thought i was getting used to the humming, I was eating my brekkie this morning and I was very tempted to put a sledgehammer to the entire system :mad:

It is quite loud in the bedroom but I guess that's to be expected but surely I wouldn't hear the continuous humming (like a vacuum cleaner) in the living room and in the kitchen (basement). I put my ear to the pipes that are running through the living room and I can hear the hum clear as day.

My installer phoned me this morning (I left a message telling him what the Ariston engineer told us). He is going to look at another home where the same boiler was installed and let us know if they've got humming all over the house.

I'm sure I can hear the humming in my head and I'm in work!!!!!!!!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hollybush75 said:
I put my ear to the pipes that are running through the living room and I can hear the hum clear as day.

I'm sure I can hear the humming in my head and I'm in work!!!!!!!!! :LOL:

Humming from the pipes is quite normal and comes from the pump. You are not expected to put your ears to the pipes. Why not box them in to keep your ears away?

An engineer I used to work with complained of humming from the substation near his home.

It was eventually diagnosed as tinitus ( an ear ailment where sounds are heard which do not exist! ).

Tony

:LOL:

The pipes are boxed in, I just put my ear on the box.
Roll on old age I guess :LOL:
Sorry to keep on but it really did my head in this morning. It's like I can't escape from the hum.
Please tell me I'll get used to it :LOL:

Just a suggestion/question really.
Does anyone think it would help to attempt a bit of isolation? By replacing the copper pipes to the boiler with plastic (taking heed of the boiler makers stipulations, usually no plastic pipe within one metre of the boiler)? Ensuring the flue is not solidly against the wall, but separated by some absorbent material eg fibreglass wool?

:(

I am seriously considering pulling the boiler off the wall and buying oil filled radiators to put in each room of the house and use the kettle for hot water.

All I can hear is this humming and it's doing my head in. I can't relax in my own home. I know I must sound like I'm overreacting but I'm on the verge of tears here :cry:

I've had enough and turned the heating off. Thank god it's not that cold outside. We had visitors earlier and the first thing they asked (when sitting down in the living room) was "what's that humming noise?"

I've had a good cry so feeling less tense but I know there is something wrong with this - this is not normal. When I turned the heating off I could feel my ears "ringing" slightly. And that is not normal.

I've gone into my next door neighbours house as they had a full new system installed 2 months ago (a Ferroli boiler) and you can't hear anything in their living room or kitchen.

Afraid we're still waiting to hear from the installer.

I'm going to ring Ariston again tomorrow - I can't live with this noise.

We had visitors earlier and the first thing they asked (when sitting down in the living room) was "what's that humming noise?"
Well, that proves it not just you. It's clearly wrong and you must insist that the installer sorts it out (assuming he supplied the boiler). Can't remember if it's been said, but don't settle the bill until this is sorted (if it's not too late now).

I wish that I could have a good cry when faced with difficult heating problems or difficult customers.

However I take that view that that would be seen as unprofessional so I keep a stiff upper lip and just try to get on with it.

I am going to Church tomorrow, hopefully that will be an uplifting experience and if I get their 205 kW boiler going again that will be even better!

Tony

How about making a fuss by writing to the installer rejecting the installation as 'unfit for the purpose for which it was sold' and requesting a full refund? You have to be quick to do this, or you can lose your rights, and it seems hard on the installer, but what other options have you? Can't imagine the opposition would give in easily though, as they would presumably say that their boilers have been fitted in thousands of dwellings without complaint. But it's hard to see how something as noisy as you say is much use to you, particularly in a room where people sleep.

It's not so much the noise in the bedroom although that is a problem when the heating kicks in during the early morning (6am).

It's the noise of the pump I can hear in our living room that bothers me. You can even hear the hum in the kitchen which is 2 floors underneath where the boiler is situated.

My installer has said that if he can't do anything to solve the problem then he will remove the boiler and install a new one.

I have noticed some more noises and these are clicking in the pipes that run from the boiler down to our living room. It's not a continuous noise (like the hum) but I can hear things "clicking".

One of the managers in work has said that it sounds like there's air in the system? He's a bit of a DIY-er. I told him that my installer had bled the rads but he said that there still could be air in the system.

Is this possible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back