Brand new boiler - 1 day old - problems already

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ariston Eco Combi 27 MFFI which was installed yesterday.
My dad stayed in our house during installation as neither my partner or I could get time off work.
When I arrived home last night I heard a very annoying continuous humming noise from the boiler. It could be heard right through the house, even in the kitchen (which is at the bottom of a 3 storey building - the boiler is located in the bedroom). I rang the installer who came back today (my father was here once again) and the installer could not find what the problem was. He suggested I ring MTS Ariston - so I did and someone is allegedly contacting me this evening to arrange an appointment.

I feel like :cry: - I just don't need this kind of problem at the moment. All I wanted was a new boiler :cry:

Sponsored Links
he installer could not find what the problem was

Presumably he found which part it is? You disconnect them until it stops!

Though there is a house I know which has a humming noise, in one room upstairs (1st floor, one more above). So we turned the mains electric off, and the water off and emptied the pipes. No difference. So we pestered the neighbours and did the same. No difference. Spooky or what :eek: !

If the installation was done in one day, the system can't have been flushed out, so good chance that sludge has got into boiler and clogged up something - the pump maybe? Ariston may charge you for the call out since such faults are the installer's, not theirs.

Sounds like your installer isn't giving the sort of back up you're entitled to expect (he should get onto Ariston, not leave it to you). I hope you haven't paid him yet (don't until you're satisfied that all is running properly). Is he a Corgi registered and has he issued the Benchmark certificate to you?

Sponsored Links
The installation was completed yesterday but they started it at 9am on Wednesday.

The installer did try Ariston (my father was a witness) but couldn't get through. I just rang them up to see if he'd contacted them since. So it was a good job that I did. An engineer has phoned and is baffled by what's happened also. He's coming out at 10.30 tomorrow.

My installer is Corgi Registered and I have the Benchmark Certificate in front of me.

My father has given him the money but I will stick up for him because he has said he will pay the call out fee if Ariston charge us.

I guess from the Ariston on and off and on and off comment that it's not a good make :cry: Well there's bugger all I can do about that now.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: at myself

Ariston boilers- I personally do not like them. Should have gone a little up market and got a decent one.

I guess hindsight is wonderful :LOL:

Spose 1 day of working is quite good though.

Best Regards

Ho Hum.

My installer is Corgi Registered and I have the Benchmark Certificate in front of me.
Well, sounds as if your installer is at least half-decent after all. His offer to cover any charge by Ariston sounds fair, too. Sorry for my cynicism, but we pick up a lot of problems here from shoddy installations.

Hope you will let us know what humming sound turns out to be - it helps us to help you and others in the future.

Our installer recommended the Ariston to us.
I couldn't afford anything more expensive. Christmas has had to be more or less cancelled because of this.

Thanks for the comments anyway.

:cry:

Ariston is generally regarded as a cheap and cheerful make (well, maybe not cheerful in your case :rolleyes: ). As far as I know they compare well with similarly priced boilers and are reasonably reliable (others may know better, of course).

Ariston boilers are one of the cheaper boilers made in Italy like most boilers and particularly like some of the more expensive names as well.

Providing they are properly installed and the system is power flushed with the right chemicals then they are perfectly satisfactory and reliable.

They give a proper warranty service through staff engineers and a network of local service agents.

In this case your installer has acted responsibly and the local service agent is coming the next day. All totally correct and just what a client should expect. In the meantime the boiler is operating and you have heating and hot water.

I do have to add that it is NOT good practice to install boilers in bedrooms because they do make a little noise and that can be disturbing to anyone sleeping there. If it was your idea, your installer should have tried to find a more suitable location, perhaps the loft!

Please let us know the cause!

Tony Glazier

I'be be quite happy with an Ariston. They were one of the first to offer a 5 year guarantee on condensng boilers. Even if you didn't go for that one, its a good sign. Technical support is good too. I just wish they didn't make soooo many different models!

I dont mind lots of models as long as they dont call them all with the same name of "Eurocombi A23 MFFI ".

Different models should have different names or numbers.

Vaillant are even worse, they have TWO 18 digit numbers to identify each boiler. I understand this includes how many sugars the final tester has in her coffee.

Tony

The old boiler had been located in the bedroom 15 years ago. We bought this house 16 months ago. The old boiler only disturbed us when it came on in the morning :)

I feel a little happier this morning and am hoping that the hum will be gone today. We'll see what the Ariston guy has to say.

I'd just had a tough week in work and a noisy new boiler was the last thing I needed :LOL:

I'll report back on here with the diagnosis.

Cheers guys :)

Whilst its easier and cheaper to replace a boiler in the same location its always preferable to take the oportunity to put the new one in a more suitable location.

Many of the newer boilers are actually more disturbing because they have higher speed fans which give a high pitched whine. The varying pitch also anoys some people as it modulates.

Tony

Agile said:
Many of the newer boilers are actually more disturbing because they have higher speed fans which give a high pitched whine. The varying pitch also anoys some people as it modulates.

Tony

Spot on Tony. Ariston engineer said there is nothing wrong with the boiler and that is the noise that it generates. He said his boiler is even louder than mine. He said we could box it it if we want as this may reduce the noise a bit. Just have to make sure we put vents in.

I guess it's ear plugs for me when the boiler comes on in the morning :LOL:

Cheers guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back