Brass audio sockets

mo2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=70302&start=15

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=79775&highlight=

I have fianlly made, my audio sockets and have mounted, connected and tested successfully 3 of the 5. Four of them have 2 sockets, and the other one has 8. To connect the ones with two sockets, I crimped a ring connecter? and a fork connector? to the speaker cables. I used a bit of masking tape to insulate between the stickyoutbit? and the other part and put the ring crimp over the stickyoutbit. I bent the prongs on the fork to connect to the gold ring. Sorry about my terminology here, I have no idea what any of these parts are actually called. If you don't know what part I am talking about, ask.

Anyway, my problem is that, although this method worked OK with just two sockets, it does now work for 8 as it is impossible to get them all to stay on and mount it on the wall.

Sponsored Links
Is the problem that the cables are too inflexible and get displaced when you push them ijnto the backbox?

What size cables are you using, and how many strands?

79 strand, the problem is that I don't know how the cables are actually meant to be connected. My crimp connectors fit very loosley on the sockets.

It looks like that the phono sockets should be solder connections, trying to get crimp terminals on might be causing shorts between signal & ground.

Sponsored Links
The ones I have done work fine, so you are saying the proper way to do it is to solder?

Normally for the type of terminal shown in your pics the most reliable method of termination is to fill the small tube (for want of terminology) with solder, twist the ends of the cable & tin them, then melt the solder in the tube and put the cable into the tube, ensuring no loose strands can short to the body of the connector.
The flag for the return connection is easier to solder to.

OK, so I will have to do that 8 times :eek: for the socket. Also, the flag as you call it can't hold all the strands so that will be difficult aswell. :(

Thanks for the help, will be soldering soon.

If you twist the strands together and then tin the ends, plus not forgetting to tin the tube & flag you should find it easier to get all of the strands in each connection.

yep, agree with that, the connections shown are meant to be soldered

Yep, that hole lot needs soldering. The ground ring and the tip.

Phono sockets are low level audio aswell, not designed for speaker connections.

mo2 said:
79 strand, the problem is that I don't know how the cables are actually meant to be connected. My crimp connectors fit very loosley on the sockets.

Phono sockets are designed to carry low level signals feeding the input of an amplifier. They are not designed to carry the currents found in speaker cables, and are certainly not intended to accept 79 strand cable - they are designed to use thin co-ax signal cables.

If you have a powerful enough amplifier to make 79 strand cable worthwhile, then the contact resistance of a phono connection is going to show a significant voltage drop in loud passages, effectively introducing distortion.

There are purpose made connectors for speakers - Neutrik Speakons. These are not so pretty, but are rated for the job.

I used these - neutriks are a little bulky and OTT for a domestic IMO.

bw71_72_1086.jpg

I used phonos for a link from the TV location to the stereo location.

If you have a powerful enough amplifier to make 79 strand cable worthwhile, then the contact resistance of a phono connection is going to show a significant voltage drop in loud passages, effectively introducing distortion.

And may even result in welding of the plug into the socket as the effective contact area is much smaller than it appears to be.

100 watts into a 4 ohm speaker is 5 amps (I² = W / R)

wireclamps are horrible things imo

i'd imagine in most domestic setups phonos would handle the load without too much issue.

remember the power ratings listed on most equipment are highly exagerrated, 100W of average power into a speaker is a heck of a lot more than most so called 100W domestic amplifiers put out.

note that if you have low impedance speakers and long runs you will need thick cables to keep the loss down even if operating at low power

plugwash said:
wireclamps are horrible things imo
the reason why I have phonos

i'd imagine in most domestic setups phonos would handle the load without too much issue.

I hope so, I didn't realise that this would be a problem

remember the power ratings listed on most equipment are highly exagerrated, 100W of average power into a speaker is a heck of a lot more than most so called 100W domestic amplifiers put out.

I haven't actually got my amp yet, but this is what I am thinking of, with quite a basic set of speakers

note that if you have low impedance speakers and long runs you will need thick cables to keep the loss down even if operating at low power

79 strand good enough?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back